Replace Server 2003 box and SQL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Server 2003 box and SQL

I have been tasked with replacing an old Dell PowerEdge server with a new server. The old server runs Server 2003 Standard as will the new server. Old server is the DC in the office. What do I need to do to replace the old server with the new once it comes in? Also, I will have to install SQL 2008 on the new server and move a database to it from the old server that is currently running SQL 2000. I know a little bit but I need some help to make this transition as smooth as possible. Thanks. This work will need to be performed withing the next two weeks.

P.S. I have been lurking around the site learning and figured this was the best place to get some help regarding this task. Thanks everyone in advance.

Re: New here and I need help....

To move AD, promote the new server to a DC, make it a DNS and GC server, transfer the FSMO roles, demote the old server.

Please choose a better thread title in future - you are required to do so by the forum rules.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok, thanks, and mods if you could change the title that would be great!

Comment

What about the SQL? Is that just a matter of creating a backup and then restoring said backup on the SQL 2008 installation???????

Comment

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mov...+to+new+server
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by google123 View Post
            Ok, thanks, and mods if you could change the title that would be great!
            Title changed to what was requested.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Title changed to something more relevant.

Comment

Re: Replace Server 2003 box and SQL

Hello everyone its me again. The office that I was going to do this at had some other things come up and finally I have begun trying to replace the old server with this new one. I tried to promote this new server to an additional DC and before it finishes, I get an error message that the forest is not ready for 2003 Domain controllers and that I need to run the adprep utility. The Domain Controller in place now IS a 2003 server so what do I have to do in order to get this new server setup as an additional DC so I can then transfer the FSMO roles from the old server to the new one? Thanks for all yall's help.

Comment

Is the new server 2003 or 2003 R2?
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Old server is 2003 and new server is 2003 R2

Comment

Google tells you that you need to run adprep from the R2 disk.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=add...ain+controller
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                      X