Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore W2K3 DC to different hardware

Hi all

I am restoring system state data to a physical machine, the systems state backup is from a virtual Windows 2003 DC and i am trying to restore this onto a physical machine.

So far I build the machine with new install, recover systems state via ntbackup, reboot and then black screen staraight away as systems boots.

I have had a rummage around for similar scenario's which haven't worked yet. I think this must have something to do with disk controller or hal file but as only restoring systems state and not C:\windows no drivers are being replaced....

Any help or advice appreciated?

Thx

Re: Restore W2K3 DC to different hardware

What hypervisor are you moving the virtual machine from? Virtual to Physical conversions are possible with some 3rd party (acronis, Symantec system restore) tools but just restoring the system state is not practical as the registry is built on a virtual platform with references to virtual drivers that naturally wont be present on the physical host. Note virtual to physical conversions can be cumbersome.

http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/doc/V2P_TechNote.pdf

Comment

As far as going from physical to virtual I read some time ago that it will not work. A friend of mine attempted to p2v his DC with all roles and ended up working a week on recovering his domain, he did finally manage however he said it was a verry unpleasant experience. I would recommend just installing a 2nd dc then promoting it with all the roles and decommissioning the old server. Just my 2 cents.
      Regards
      John

Comment

Originally posted by jgffm View Post
        As far as going from physical to virtual I read some time ago that it will not work. A friend of mine attempted to p2v his DC with all roles and ended up working a week on recovering his domain, he did finally manage however he said it was a verry unpleasant experience. I would recommend just installing a 2nd dc then promoting it with all the roles and decommissioning the old server. Just my 2 cents.
        Regards
        John
        Physical to virtual works perfectly fine for DC's as long as you do it cold.

We've just converted a couple of our DC's recently and this is the process we followed

1. Create the VMware Convertor CD.
        2. Shutdown the DC in question.
        3. Boot from the CD and import into your VM enviornment. We placed ours in a Test Network to do the next steps.
        4. On first boot install the VM tools.
        5. On 2nd boot reconfigure the network card and Video if you need to.
        6. Shutdown Virtual DC.
        7. Move back to Production LAN.
        8. Power on new Virtual DC.

Those 8 steps worked fine for us. Allowed replication to occur and all was and still is working perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X