Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Access Denied" when modifying scheduled tasks in Windows 2003 SP2 x64

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Access Denied" when modifying scheduled tasks in Windows 2003 SP2 x64

    We have run into an issue of not being able to modify or create new scheduled tasks on our Windows 2003 SP2 x64 box. It gives the Access Denied error dialog. We are the domain administrators so we have full access to everything and have never had an issue in the past.

    A few months ago we did have a small outbreak of Conflicker.B and used utilities to remove it, so perhaps the registry was modified during that.

    I've searched the forum and Google without success. Any ideas?
    Last edited by suprax; 29th July 2009, 21:58.

  • #2
    Re: "Access Denied" when modifying scheduled tasks in Windows 2003 SP2 x64

    One way that could protect the computers on the network for a Conflicker outbreak is to modifiy the permissions on the %systemroot%\tasks folder and to disable the autorun featue on all computers.

    Perhaps that one of the utilities you used to remove the virus also had configured these settings? Do you have the names and sources of these utilities?

    Check the permisions on the %systemroot%\tasks folder (not sure this is the same directory in the 64-bit version of the OS) and all the files in side that folder.
    It is possible the existing permissions were replaced and then denied rights for all users, then you try using a GPO (Computer Configuration /Windows Settings /Security Settings /File system) to change the permisions. Or use a tool like SubInACL, executed by the system account to reset the permissions on that folder and everything in it.


    \Rems

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    __________________

    ** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: "Access Denied" when modifying scheduled tasks in Windows 2003 SP2 x64

      Thanks. It turned out to be the permissions on the Tasks folder. I used a quick and dirty method of making a copy of the Tasks folder, setting correct security, then putting those permissions on the real Tasks folder. Steps detailed here: http://www.avianwaves.com/Blog/defau...ions-on-the-Wi

      Comment

      Working...
      X