No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Server Randomly Quits Responding

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server Randomly Quits Responding

Ok here's the situation, we have a Windows 2003 Server Running Exchange 2003, and this server also acts as a host for folder redirection of user's "My Documents" folder (don't ask it was setup by my predecessor and mgmt wants to keep it for some reason).

So this machine will just randomly stop responding to any connection requests on any port. It usually starts with someone not being able to access their my documents folder, then connections to Exchange drop, and finally you can't even RDP to the box or use the management console to connect.

When I log into the box, there are no associated errors in the event log, nothing is eating up CPU or Memory, but I will have several users that have 500-5000 active sessions open. I've tried clearing out all of the sessions, but no new sessions are allowed to connect until after a reboot.

Anyone ever see a situation like this?

Re: Windows 2003 Server Randomly Quits Responding

you did not describe any troubleshooting steps so let's start with few questions:
    you said it start with file shares, then Exchange, then RDP - are you sure it's not all at the same time?
    when you get on the machine, can you access the network?
    did you check the NIC, the driver and maybe even replaced it?
    do you have any other network connectivity issues, anywhere in the LAN?
    what about the event log, any errors?

please provide details so we can help
    OneManITShop - IT Consultant
    eMail: [email protected]