Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter event logs so specific source is excluded

Hi everyone

All 3 of our w2k3 servers have a UPS attached. We use APC Powershute Business Edition to control the UPS.

The problem is that the APC software spams the Application Log with spurious errors. The error is as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: APCPBEAgent
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3030
    Date: 29/07/2009
    Time: 09:15:37
    User: N/A
    Computer: TITAN
    Description:
    "Insufficient Runtime Available"

When I use the administration console to check the status of the UPS there is always the full runtime available which is more than the time allowed for the server to shut down including the grace period before the shutdown procedure starts.

I would like to be able to exclude this or other event property through filtering. Unfortunately, the inbuilt filter only allows the inclusion of particular event properties, and not their exclusion.

Anyone know of a utility/plug-in/add-on/tweak that has this functionality?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Filter event logs so specific source is excluded

Assuming that the UPS is configured to send an email or network alert when there are power issues and that the UPS will write to it's own logs, why not turn off it's writing to the Windows event log all together?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I have not seen an option to do this. There are Log options that cover the Data and Event Logs, but as these are both part of the application I've not touched these. I've turned the Event log off to see what happens.

I'm using APC Powerchute Business Edition Console V.7.0.4 Basic Server Edition.

Cheers!

Comment

No joy.

Turning off the event log did just that - it turned of logging in the APC event log. So, no events visible in the APC event log, but still merrily spamming the Server's application event log.

So, yesterday I changed the UPS configuration. The runtime limit is 6 minutes. The UPS is set to wait two minutes before starting a shutdown procedure. The shutdown procedure is allowed 3 minutes (in reality it is much less than this). The UPS was originally set to shutdown at 'runtime limit' but I changed it to shutdown after 5 mins, giving it a minute to shutdown. That would use the full 6 minutes available. But it's still spamming the log.

So, is there a way that I can filter out these events? There are literally 100's of them.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X