Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify files

OK,
    Not sure what I am missing here but I have 3 Windows Server 2003 systems. I am unable to modify, delete, rename, or move files and folder. I will right click a file and move it to the Recycle Bin, a few seconds later it is out of the recycle bin and back where it was. Same with the rename I can rename the file but few seconds later (auto refresh) the name is back to original. I can create new files and folders but not change them after or move them. I can do all of this remotely from my computer going to \\system\c$ but if I try logged into the Server no go.

Re: Modify files

Presumably you're logging in as an administrator?

Do the changes show up if you refresh the view? Or after logging out and back in? Or rebooting?

What OS edition, architecture and service pack? Is it fully up to date?

What antivirus etc?

Do you have any form of filesystem monitoring or auditing going on?

Anything in the event logs?

What filesystem - presumably NTFS?

If the problem is affecting three servers, it seems unlikely to be a bug. Are the servers in a domain? Is the account you're logging in as a domain member, or local to the servers?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

All 3 Servers are Windows Server 2003 x86 fully updated with all Service Packs. I am logged in with Domain Admin Credentials which have Admin credentials on the server. We are running Norton Corporate AV with not audits on the system. There is nothing in the Event Logs and the system is formated NTFS. Like I said it allows deleting of the file by putting it in the Recycle Bin but then it come right back out of the bin. I can Empty the bin fast enough and it stays gone. I can move the file or rename it but on a refresh it show back up in original location and name and it is gone from the moved location.

Comment

Originally posted by rever75 View Post
        All 3 Servers are Windows Server 2003 x86 fully updated with all Service Packs
        Are they fully up to date?

Try disabling Norton temporarily to see if that helps.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well I will have to do some testing and snooping. I went toTools => Folder Options => View Tab and clicked Restore Defaults. Now everything is working. I am very curious what was causing this issue and how this happened too. Someone must have made a change to the default folder view and did not document it. More interesting what was the change to cause such odd behavior.

Comment

Working...
          X