Accessing System Applications through RDP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing System Applications through RDP

Hello. I have a server running remotely, one of many, that we installed our application on. We also installed an application to make this run as a service. So our application starts automatically. It starts the application as a SYSTEM process in the task manager.

Now when I am at the server locally, I log in and the application pops up with an icon in the system tray. When I log on to the server through RDP (remote desktop) the application is showing that its running, but I cannot get the application to show in the system tray to access its interface. Also, if I kill the process, and run it manually, it works just fine.

Is there something in RDP that is preventing me from seeing the application?

Re: Accessing System Applications through RDP

Windows version? Any other details that may be relevant?

I suspect the problem is that the icon will only be shown on the console session, which is by design. There may be a way around this though.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is my suspicion as well.

It is server 2003 enterprise.

Thanks! If you have a work around, it would be a great help!

Comment

Hello... I figured out the issue... I dont know why I didnt realize this before, but I just had to add the /console switch.

it works fine. However, maybe other help could be used... I can access the console directly but only with an administrative user... why cant another user access this? It says that only a user with administrative rights can access the console... this server is accessed by users getting reports from SQL, so we allow access from users but dont want to give users admin right... is there a way around this?

Thanks!

Comment

Ha... again I figured out this one as well... In order to let non-administrative users access the console through RDP you have to run this command:

WMIC RDPermissions where "TerminalName='console'" call AddAccount "domain\username", 2

Run that command on the Server and it will allow the account of your choosing to be able to access the console. (FYI - "domain\username" is where you would place your own user name information)

Comment

Keep in mind that you can only have one person at once connected to the console session.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yeah that's standard. Thanks for your assistance!

Russ

Comment

Working...
              X