Pop Grabber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Grabber?

At our office we are growing quickly. I am starting to think that using a POP Grabber is not the best solution. It times out because of too many emails coming through at once. We have tried multiple Pop Grabbers and have the same problem with all. Also we have to wait sometimes 5 minutes to receive an email. And if the employees are on the phone with a client it is a pain. We do not want the hassle of hosting our own email when we can have someone else do all the work for just 25 bucks a month. Are there any other solutions to getting email from their server. I could connect each outlook mailbox to their server which would work but doesn't that defeats the purpose of exchange? I inherited all of this and I am still learning. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Pop Grabber?

Originally posted by baschaff View Post
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Help us first please, and describe in detail what your setup is. Is your question relevant to Windows Server 2000/2003 or is this in the wrong section? If not, a moderator can move it to somewhere more appropriate.

What do you mean by "pop grabber"? I realise you are fetching mail from your ISP (or other)'s mail server using POP, but... where is it going? To a mail store at your company? To people's mail clients?

Without knowlege of your system, we can't answer you. Either people will suggest something inappropriate for your needs, or they won't suggest anything at all.

http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=11
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We use Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 with active directory and Exchange 2007. The PopGrabber is connected directly to exchange. I think our company is outgrowing the popgrabber. It takes too long to get email. Sometimes it times out because it is downloading too many emails at once. I was just wondering if there is a better solution for bigger businesses with exchange besides using a PopGrabber. The PopGrabber right now, connects to their POP3 server and downloads everyones email box one at a time every 5 minutes. If someone has a lot of emails or 10 people have a lot of emails then it takes forever for everyone else to retrieve theirs. Plus we have yet to find a stable PopGrabber and that I am assuming is because of the volume of email we do at our office. If you need more information just let me know.

Comment

If you already have Exchange in place, then my suggestion would be to use that as your mail server, and do away with POP.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Our head techs told me that is too much hassle to host our own email. They said paying a second party to do all the work would be worth it with all of the spam and virus filtering and they would do a much better job more than likely. They said its worth the 25 bucks a month to just let them take care of all that. Both companies we work with told us that. If they are way off here let me know. Plus we have to have someone else host our email to stay in compliance unless we want to buy some very expensive hardware/software and hire someone to maintain it which is out of the question. We also cannot mess with the MX record. That is also being used for compliance. Is using a PopGrabber the only solution to getting email off of a pop3 server onto our exchange server?

Comment

Yes, you have to use a POP connector to get mail from a POP server.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by compliance? Certainly if you have a licence for Exchange (and they don't come cheap) I would find it difficult to justify paying extra on top of that for someone else to host the mail for me. If your current registrar doesn't allow you to modify DNS records, then there are plenty of other registrars out there who will...
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Hey there, try this software, i have allmost the same senario as you, but i use a different software, and it's the best i found out there. http://www.popbeamer.com/ . how do you have Exchange 2007 installed in 2003 ? do you have a x64 2003 ? Anyway the best solution is to register a domain like yourdomainmails.com , and forward all your mails from yourdomain.com to yourdomainmails.com, like that all the mails are passed thro email and spam filter and after that they are forwared to your exchange server. That's one solution, may not be the best but it's functional. The other is try to change pop3 program. The one i gave you is for me the best one, very fast and easy to setup. works as a service. Download it and try it out. Work swith Sbs2008 and win2003/8 as well.

Regards
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Yes, you have to use a POP connector to get mail from a POP server.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by compliance? Certainly if you have a licence for Exchange (and they don't come cheap) I would find it difficult to justify paying extra on top of that for someone else to host the mail for me. If your current registrar doesn't allow you to modify DNS records, then there are plenty of other registrars out there who will...
                We have to store all incoming and outgoing for 5 years. There are many standards that we have to meet. Standards that require different(Expensive) types of hardware and software if we were to do it ourselves.
                Last edited by baschaff; 27th July 2009, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinguerreiro View Post
                  Hey there, try this software, i have allmost the same senario as you, but i use a different software, and it's the best i found out there. http://www.popbeamer.com/ . how do you have Exchange 2007 installed in 2003 ? do you have a x64 2003 ? Anyway the best solution is to register a domain like yourdomainmails.com , and forward all your mails from yourdomain.com to yourdomainmails.com, like that all the mails are passed thro email and spam filter and after that they are forwared to your exchange server. That's one solution, may not be the best but it's functional. The other is try to change pop3 program. The one i gave you is for me the best one, very fast and easy to setup. works as a service. Download it and try it out. Work swith Sbs2008 and win2003/8 as well.

Regards
                  Kevin
                  Yes I do have x64 2003. Sorry forgot to mention that. I am pretty new to servers. We actually outsource most of our major server work. I am trying to get a handle on things but there is so much to learn. Barely any time to study. Anyways...I will run these ideas past out main networking team and see what they think. Thank you very much. Oh, will that program work on an x64 system. That was one of our problems.
                  Last edited by baschaff; 27th July 2009, 19:28.

Comment

We have to store all incoming and outgoing for 5 years. There are many standards that we have to meet. Standards that require different(Expensive) types of hardware and software if we were to do it ourselves.
                    Fair enough. Make sure though that the current host's contract states that they will uphold this requirement - if the mail is currently being hosted by your ISP, this may not be the case. While obviously there are costs involved in providing appropriate hardware (ie, a RAID of sufficient capacity), normally I would suggest the best way to comply with these requirements would be to host your own server

FYI, you can edit posts to add to them, without having to post twice in a row.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes it works very well on x64. I had it working in a win 2003 x86 and then passed to a SBS2008 that is x64 with Exchange 2007 and works like a charm.

Glad to Help.

Kevin

EDIT: Anyway i dont recomend having more than one pop grabber in the system. Setup correctly in a testing environment, then after all working ok, you can just copy the entire Folder of the program and put it in the working server and run the service of popbeamer to start it. Dont do it in a working environment or you may loose information.
                      Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 27th July 2009, 21:02.

Comment

One of my tech buddies told me you can connect exchange directly to a pop3 account without using a popGrabber. If that is the case that will solve all of our problems. I have never heard of that before. But then again I have very limited knowledge of servers at the moment.

Comment

Are you sure your friend wasn't referring to using POP to access an Exchange mailbox? I'm not aware of any way to do what you're trying to do without a POP conector.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Exchange only has pop3 connector and nothing else. The only version that has the pop3 inclued is SBS2003 , win2003 doesent have it, dont know if exchange 2007 comes with it. The only way to get pop3 mail is with a second party software pop3 connector.

Kevin
                            Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 28th July 2009, 19:13.

Comment

One of my tech buddies told me you can connect exchange directly to a pop3 account without using a popGrabber. If that is the case that will solve all of our problems. I have never heard of that before. But then again I have very limited knowledge of servers at the moment.
                              No you cannot. Exchange either has its email submitted directly via SMTP or injected via a POP3 collector which still uses SMTP to filter the emails to Exchange.

You may want to do your homework with this as it has no bearing on you're compliance. Journaling can be used for email compliance but a POP3 solution has no bearing on that whatsoever. By default email that is Popped from a server on the internet is considered offline email. In other words the content is downloaded and NOT left on that server unless otherwise specified. Additionally if emails must be stored then im assuming journalling is enabled already of which again that would have no bearing in terms of expense or any other additional software/hardware requirements.

Please can you clarify you're exact configuration on site as you say you have a hosted solution but then you also say you have an exchange server in house.

Comment

Working...
                              X