Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications To Pc's

hello,

is it possible to store software packages such as office 2007 or Adobe software (Eg. Dreamweaver Cs4, Fireworks Cs4). On to a server (windows server 2003) and then on a vista running laptop and a xp running laptop. access the software remotly with having to actually run the software on the machine - like remote access . confusing ? i know. the software must actually be installed onto the pc so all the folders and etc must be stored onto the server. he documents created can be stored onto the laptops.

Ajw901

Re: Applications To Pc's

I'm not too sure what you're trying to do... are you trying to install the software on the server and run it on the server, or install the software on the laptop but store the application's files on the server?

If the latter... I would be curious as to why?

If the former, you're probably thinking of Terminal Services or similar.

If the latter... yes I guess you could, assuming the software installer lets you pick where to install it to. I don't see any benefit to doing this though, and can see several downsides. If the installer doesn't let you choose the installation directory, then no you can't do this.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

i want to download the software such as office and access it as it was on the local hard drive without it acutally being on it. do u get me ?

Ajw901

Comment

The latter then. Why do you want to do this? You still require the same amount of hard drive space, albeit on a server rather than on a workstation, and you risk the applications being unavailable should any issue arise with the server or the network. You may also experience performance issues, as the connection speed to a local hard drive is usually a lot faster than the network connection to a server.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would put the software on the server so that hard drive space on the laptops arent used up that much.

Comment

Or are you looking like TS remoteapp?
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You can't run applications that aren't installed on your computer. Your only recourse would be Terminal Services, or Citrix, or something along those lines.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hello,

what i have decieded to do is to download the exe's onto the laptop and then run the software like normal but when it asks for place to store i use a network drive eg \\programs\apps\

however some software wont let me install to this drive. is there away of getting around this? or do i leave it on the local hard drive ?

Ajw901

Comment

Leave it on the local drive. Keep in mind the drawbacks that have already been pointed out about storing applications on a network share.

Also, ensure that no two installations (of 2 applications, or the same application on 2 computers) are placed in the same folder. If you are planning to install something on two computers, then maybe try \\server\share\product\%COMPUTERNAME%\
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Ok thank you very much for the help - i will keep this in mind

Ajw901

Comment

Ahh so you want to do something like portable apps?
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                      X