Profiles and no disk space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profiles and no disk space

Hi everyone, got a 2k3 server that has all the users profile path directed to the server in AD. Problem is the server has ran out room store anything. The question is what happens if i delete the profile path in AD on the user, and what happens to the documents? Since the profile in on the server are those files also store on the client machine? Suggestions?

One thing is there is a second server on site and has enough free space on it, Can I do a move command and move that folder that has profiles and still retain the permissions on each folder and sub folder?
    Last edited by jtullous; 25th July 2009, 16:48.

Re: Profiles and no disk space

Roaming profiles are cached on client workstations, unless you configure a group policy setting to have the cached copies deleted at logoff. You can change the path for the user objects in AD (while the user is logged out) and at next login, the user will store their profile on the new server. Just make sure you hang onto the existing copies on the old server until you're sure everything's working fine.

You may want to copy the folder over yourself before letting the users back in - up to you really, although I would recommend that you do so 'to be safe'.

If you do configure the group policy setting to delete the local copies of roaming profiles at logout, don't forget that the Local Settings folder of a profile is not saved to the server.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks I will give this a try.

Comment

As always though, ensure your backups work before changing anything like this.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X