DNS and RAS replicating ips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS and RAS replicating ips

I have a PPTP setup in house using RAS. Server IPs are being replicated. The ips are being assigned by RAS. When I limit the PPTP connection to a specific ip pool, access to inside resources are limited. I keep the same subnet on the scope/pool. See the attachment.
    Attached Files

Re: DNS and RAS replicating ips

Well I'm not going to open that doc file...
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

louisvillecat, what is in the attached file? A screenshot? Notes? Kindly refer to the forum rules (in particular, rule - if it's a screenshot, then why post a file not everybody can open, and most people will avoid opening?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I certainly apologize. Here is a screenshot in a GIF. Once again sorry.
        Attached Files

Comment

What's the issue? DHCP looks exactly as I would expect for a RAS server from what I can see in the screenshot.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It is creating ips for servers in the network that have static ips. SO for example:

The static ip of server1 will be 192.168.1.1
            RAS will also have an ip for server1 of 192.168.1.101

When you ping server1, sometimes you get 192.168.1.1 and sometimes you get 192.168.1.101

Comment

So have you set up RAS to assign ip addresses from it's own static pool (which is what it sounds like) or have you configured it to get addresses from your current DHCP server?

If you set it up to get it's addresses from your current DHCP server then it will pre-allocate addresses from your DHCP scope, making those addresses unavailable to other devices, thus avoiding the problem you're having now.

If you set it up to use it's own scope, and that scope is the same as your DHCP scope, then you're going to have the problem you have now. You'll need to set the static pool on the RAS server to be different than your DHCP server scope.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                So have you set up RAS to assign ip addresses from it's own static pool (which is what it sounds like) or have you configured it to get addresses from your current DHCP server?

If you set it up to get it's addresses from your current DHCP server then it will pre-allocate addresses from your DHCP scope, making those addresses unavailable to other devices, thus avoiding the problem you're having now.

If you set it up to use it's own scope, and that scope is the same as your DHCP scope, then you're going to have the problem you have now. You'll need to set the static pool on the RAS server to be different than your DHCP server scope.
                Static pool that is different from the DHCP pool.

Comment

That contradicts your picture, which shows RAS allocated addresses in your DHCP server pool. If the RAS server is configured to use it's own pool then it doesn't interact with the DHCP server at all. If it is configured to use DHCP then it preallocates ip addresses from the DHCP server and registers those addresses to itself.

The only reason I can think of for the ip addresses still being allocated in DHCP to the RAS server is if you switched the RAS server from DHCP to static and didn't stop and restart the RAS service. If you don't stop and restart the RAS service the DHCP allocated addresses don't get released.

Comment

Are these servers that are in different sites and are dialing in to the RAS server? If so edit the VPN properties in the RRAS console to not register the connection in DNS and avoid duplicate IPs.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      That contradicts your picture, which shows RAS allocated addresses in your DHCP server pool. If the RAS server is configured to use it's own pool then it doesn't interact with the DHCP server at all. If it is configured to use DHCP then it preallocates ip addresses from the DHCP server and registers those addresses to itself.

The only reason I can think of for the ip addresses still being allocated in DHCP to the RAS server is if you switched the RAS server from DHCP to static and didn't stop and restart the RAS service. If you don't stop and restart the RAS service the DHCP allocated addresses don't get released.
                      It is from its own pool. See attachment.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                        Are these servers that are in different sites and are dialing in to the RAS server?
                        It is clients dialing in from offsite, and somehow these servers are getting assigned ip's.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                        If so edit the VPN properties in the RRAS console to not register the connection in DNS and avoid duplicate IPs.
                        Where do I set this?

Comment

Working...
                        X