Looking at deploying SP4 on a W2K DC w/ SP3; suggested readi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at deploying SP4 on a W2K DC w/ SP3; suggested readi

Hi everyone. Found out about these Forums just today, though I got lots of useful info from the main site over the last year or two.

I pulled a quick (though pretty specific) search before posting, but didn't come up with anything useful. Still I'm sure this must be a fairly common question, so if you guys just feel like pointing me to earlier threads, it's fine by me.

Anyway, the situation is: I'm the junior member of a two-person infrastructure/support team for a small (20 - 30 workstations) IT firm. My team-mate isn't available at the moment, and has asked me to take on this one myself.

We've been running a W2K box as our DC for a good couple years now, which works for the most part flawlessly. It's currently at SP3.

The machine is also our production Web app server, Exchange (2K) server, and hosts one of a handful 'important' file system volumes.

(Yes, I do know we'll be in deep poop if anything ever happens to it, even though we do have a backup scheme in place and rolling).

Workstation are split about 65/35 between W2K Pro (most at SP3, a couple at SP4) and XP Pro (most at SP2, though not up-to-date on updates).

Our issue regarding SP4 is with our domain name (internal); it's not a fully-formed name but rather a single-word one (please excuse the lack of proper technical terms, I'm still learning and furthermore I'm not an English speaker).

I understand SP4 has/had some issue(s) regarding non-FQDN names; that's the reason we've been postponing deployment all this time. We've decided to tackle it now.

To wrap-up on all this drivel, the question itself would be: what material (preferrably available online/for free) do you guys suggest I read before approaching deployment? I'd like to be as aware as possible of any issues that might surface as a result of deploying SP4 on an installation like the one described above.

Just that for now, thanks in advance

Damián

(bump)

Comment

Our issue regarding SP4 is with our domain name (internal); it's not a fully-formed name but rather a single-word one (please excuse the lack of proper technical terms, I'm still learning and furthermore I'm not an English speaker).
      Could you give an example of a "not a fully-formed name but rather a single-word one" as I am not sure what you mean. Ta.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Could you give an example of a "not a fully-formed name but rather a single-word one" as I am not sure what you mean.
        Indeed-

'not fully-formed'/'single-word' domain name- SAMPLEDOMAIN

'fully-formed' domain name- SAMPLEDOMAIN.SOMETHING.SOMETHINGELSE

(excuse my lack of inventiveness )

Thanks!

Comment

Have you read the articles at the following links?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p4/default.asp

Especially - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...4/spdeploy.htm
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X