Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single instance storage in S2003 standard (was: virtual server 2000 with ris/sis...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single instance storage in S2003 standard (was: virtual server 2000 with ris/sis...)

hello...
    I have hp server dl380 g5 with msa20 expansion storage module for sharing files. Host OS is server 2003 with function domain controler and file server. I have many many duplicate files on this msa20 storage and I need some transparent technology for deduplicating them. SIS (single instance storage) component from windows 2000 ris setup is solution for me. I dont want to remove any function from 2003 like dc.

question is:
    Do I can install on this 2003 host server virtual pc, inside vpc one server 2000 (drivers exist for all hardware for 2000), run on them ris/sis option for controling storage space on msa20 and share them for users on network?

thanks
    Last edited by foler; 22nd July 2009, 14:04.

Re: virtual server 2000 with ris/sis function for controling host 2003 storage...

I try this and RIS wont accept storage hdd from host OS. RIS want fixed disk. My solution is to reverse OS on server: main will be 2000 and virtual will be 2003.

Comment

new resolution...

I have new way for this. Install WDS (windows deployment service) on installed server 2003 which have built-in groveler SIS service for deduplicating files on volume. During installation WDS setup ask for path where you want to store images. After WDS is installed groveler service make hidden folder "SIS common store" and search in background for duplicates. you dont need to configure and run WDS server. This way work.

Comment

Re: virtual server 2000 with ris/sis function for controling host 2003 storage...

Thank you for posting back the solution you found.

Administrative notes:
        Your title is not clear.
        You can always edit a message, no need to post another one.
        I dont think this question is related to virtualization, but to Windows Server 2003 forum (although you do ask about it, but it is not the main issue here). Nevertheless, Ill leave it here, given the fact you have the solution.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

please, move topic to server 2003 and change title to "How to use Single instance storage in S2003 standard".

tnx

Comment

Working...
          X