Takes forever to print on shared printer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takes forever to print on shared printer

We have a windows 2003 domain here in our office. There is a group of computers that are not part of the domain but they still use some of the shared resources. They use a shared folder with no problems and I have a few of them using the shared printer located on the Server. I can connect and use the printer without any problems with any computer in our building except for one. It will print, it just takes about 3-5 min to bring up the print screen then when you tell it to print it takes another 3-5 min. It also take 3-5 min to bring up the print properties in the printers section. It just happens to be one of 2 Vista machines we have here. The other vista machine works fine. How do I check and see what user account is being used when the computer accesses the shared resources on the network. Or how do I reset it. Since it is not part of the domain I am not sure how that works. It is part of a workgroup. Does anyone know why it takes soooo long to access the printer? If she connects directly to the printer then it is fast. But I cannot do it that way because of print queue issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Takes forever to print on shared printer

I take it you have already tried deleting the printer on the Vista Pc and then reconnecting it?

What is the model of the printer?
    (I have seen a few HP printers that had similar problems to this, but it was consistent for all users, not just one user or Pc).
    Did it ever work properly for your user / anybody on this Pc?
    What happens if you logon and try it?

You could try running cleanspl.exe on the Vista box from the 2003 resource kit, it can be downloaded from here....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

This will delete any instance of a printer on the wkstn then reinstall it. I use this a lot.

Good Luck.
    MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Looks like cleanspl.exe took care of the problem. Thank you very much.

Comment

Great news, best of luck and thanks for the rep points.
        MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Working...
        X