Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Sharing on win 2003 server

Hi All,

I am very new member of this forum and very new to windows server 2003 family.
    For few resion I have to setup win 2003 server in my place.

I have a dhcp server installed on my win 2003 server and using the ISP's dns.

Now I want to share my internet connection to all of my local workstation.

Can anyone help me how I can configure it?

The information is as below:

1. two NIC are installed on server (eth0 is for internet and eth1 is for local LAN).
    2. ISP has provided the below info for internet connection and by giving it I can browse internet on the server.

IP: 208.124.X.X
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
    Gate way: 122.125.10.23
    DNS: X.X.X.X

eth1 info is
    Gate way: what would be gate way?

My DHCP ip range is 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.250

Please help me to established a network connection so that all workstation connected with the LAN can connect to internet.

Regards
    RIPON

Re: Internet Sharing on win 2003 server

You should really purchase a router/firewall to do this rather than exposing your server to the internet. Its not very secure or robust. And the gateway for your workstations will be the servers IP address (192.168.1.1). You will either have to use RRAS (or ICS..)on your server for this in order for it to act as a router.

Comment

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for your reply. I will try to established it.

Regards

Ripon

Comment

Personally I would go for ISA server.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Personally I would go for ISA server.
          ISA's more robust but it still makes more sense to get a router rather than have your server public facing.

Comment

No not quite. ISA can easily being put straight on the Internet. ISA is one of the most robust firewalls out there.
            There are more of course like Check Point, ASA, Juniper etc. However there isn't one reason why ISA can't be placed straight on the Internet.

The only reason when I wouldn't put ISA straight on the Internet is when I need to use routing protocols on the Internet side.
            Well and because there aren't many which you can use widely (like BGP is mostly used by ISPs) I don't see one reason why ISA can't be placed at the exernal network.
            Last edited by Dumber; 19th July 2009, 17:47.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi,

I have installed the NAT on my windows server 2003 along with DHCP (range 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.190). All the workstation from lan can access the internet smothly.
              But I am getting a problem now. Before installing the NAT I can remotely access my server with the real IP. Now I can access the server from remotely. And also there is no ping result from that real IP.

Can you help me so that how could I get that remote access againg?

Thanks in advanced.

Ripon

Comment

Originally posted by ripon_81 View Post
                Hi,

I have installed the NAT on my windows server 2003 along with DHCP (range 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.190). All the workstation from lan can access the internet smothly.
                But I am getting a problem now. Before installing the NAT I can remotely access my server with the real IP. Now I can access the server from remotely. And also there is no ping result from that real IP.

Can you help me so that how could I get that remote access againg?

Thanks in advanced.

Ripon
                You will need to create a NAT rule that forwards 3389 to your server (assuming your using TS of course)

Comment

Hi,

Can you tell me how to create a NAT rule that forwards 3389 to my server?

Regards
                  Ripon

Comment

Originally posted by ripon_81 View Post
                    Hi,

Can you tell me how to create a NAT rule that forwards 3389 to my server?

Regards
                    Ripon
                    On what? The Server, ISA, if installed, or a hardware router you may have on the network?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X