Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS 5 login page issue, Please help.

Hi All,

We have an web-application hosted in two Web-servers and load balanced in a CISCO Load Balancer. The issue is with one of the server while using the IUSR ID for anonymous access we get "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Access denied." this error in the login page, while the other server works fine with IUSR ID in the anonymous access. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Norbert

Re: IIS 5 login page issue, Please help.

Do you have an ODBC connection set up on the server that's getting the error?

Comment

When i use an ID in the local Admin group, it works perfectly fine. But it breaks only when i use IUSR id.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're saying. What about my previous question? On the server that gets the error do you have an ODBC connection set up to connect to the database that the web site is obviously connecting to?

Comment

Hi Joe,

We dont use ODBC connection to connect to the DB server. The connection string is used with the ASP code.

Also, the web-server which is having issue works fine when an Domain ID which is added in the local Admin group is used in the IIS anonymous access. But it breaks when i use the IUSR id in anonymous access. I dont want an Admin group ID to be used in the IIS Anonymous access.

This started when we recently built new servers and migrated the application from the old servers. In the old environment the IIS anonymous logon uses IUSR ID and there is no ODBC connection too.

Please advise.

Comment

Take a look at the connection string and compare it to the server that works. Compare the configuration on the two servers to see if you see anything different.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was cross checking all the possiblities of configuration difference between the 2 servers. But i couldnt find any.
              I also downloaded the AuthDiag.exe tool from Microsoft and tried to track the error, but in vain. I also tried to capture the error by file usage using Filemon.exe with no luck. I have run out of idea, can anyone suggest me a direction?

Regards,
              Norbert

Comment

The thing that stumps me is the ODBC error which makes me think the page is accessing a back-end database. How about installing Microsoft Network monitor 3 on the client and server and running a packet capture while you try to log in? That will give you info on what is happeneing at the packet level so that you can see all the TCP connections from both the client and the server. That's what I usually use when I'm troubleshooting a web problem.

Comment

Hi Joe,

I finally nailed down the issue. It was a registry entry in the failing server which was using the Named Pipes protocol. This is wat i did:

Goto

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\Connect To

Modified the Value of DSQUERY from DBNMPNTW to DBMSSOCN.

I checked this Registry entry with the working Server.

Now my Site is working fine with IUSR as anonymous access ID.

Thanks,
                  Norbert

Comment

Glad you got it figured out.

Comment

Working...
                    X