No announcement yet.

VMware and tombstoned AD

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware and tombstoned AD

I have just started using my VMWare environment after several months. My goal was to make sure that this virtual domain had no contact with our production domain. Using Linux as the host and combined with iptables, I have been able to do that.

In the virtual domain, we have 1 DC which 2k3 R2 and 1 DC which is 2K SP4 along with a couple of XP Pro SP3 workstations. Well, long story short, I forgot that 'tombstone' timeouts could occur. I am not sure how to proceed here or if it's even worth fixing.

It's an interesting problem to solve - I just want to make sure it's worth the investment of time that it may take.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: VMware and tombstoned AD

it's an interesting experience in terms of learning how to deal with it - you'll be much better off having resolved this issue in a virtual environment, then suddenly have someone ringing up goin nuts that their production environment doesn't work (it's happebed, trust me.)

do a couple of google searches for tombstoned DCs. depending on which is tombstoned, you may also need to look up how to seize the master roles, and cleanup the ntds metadata.

have a bit of a look around.. and come back with some more specific questions and i'll see if i can help.

basically.. you need to tidy it up, then demote it and repromote it maybe
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point