Restoring a server to different hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a server to different hardware

I have been given a task to restore a Windows 2003 test server running on a Dell PowerEdge 2300 onto a Dell PowerEdge 2900. Once I have all of the necessary prep work done, I will create an image of the PE2300 using PowerQuest Drive Image then restore it onto the PE2900.

Question 1:
    How do I get the SAS raid driver for the PE2900 to install on the PE2300? I says that the hardware doesn't exist.

Question 2:
    Are there any other drivers that I would need to have installed before I create the image?

Question 3:
    Would using WinPe be a better option for creating the image of the server?

Re: Restoring a server to different hardware

Dell Servers come with a Startup disk that allows you to boot from the HDDs. You then insert the recovery/OS disk(s).

Comment

Just a quick query, Is that server a Domain Controller? or what roles does it have?
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Virtual:
        The object of the test is to restore an image of a machine to dissimilar hardware.

L4ndy:
        The server does nothing. It is just an old server that was laying around that I am using for this test. The servers that this process would be applied to, if it was ever necessary, would be our branch print servers. We do not have a domain setup at this time.

Comment

Working...
        X