SQL and Exchange Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL and Exchange Server

Can you have SQL and Exchange Server running on the same Window Server 2003 system?

Re: SQL and Exchange Server

Yes but I wouldn't recoomend it except in the smallest of environments. If your environment fits the SBS model (75 users max) then you could probably install both with no ill effects.

Comment

Do I have to have Windows Server 2003 - Small Business? Or can I do it with Windows Server 2003?

Comment

You don't have to have anything and yes you can do it with Server 2003 but SBS is specifically designed for this sort of scenario.

Comment

Both Exchange and SQL are greedy brutes which try to grab as much system RAM as possible. Having both on the same box is asking for trouble.

As suggested, SBS is designed to support this (but has other limitations), alternatively, have you considered virtualising SQL and Exchange as separate VMs on HyperV (2008 Enterprise will allow you to run 4 virtual servers -- 2003 or 200
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

as has already been pointed out.. the basic response of SQL is to grab as much ram as it can. Exchange does the same.

So, yes, you could install them.. but you may end up with resource conflicts.. especiall if you want to fully setup different volume types, raid5 for this, raid10 for that, etc...

SBS 2003 does exchange and sql2000 out of the box.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by joes4tune View Post
              Can you have SQL and Exchange Server running on the same Window Server 2003 system?
              SBS 2003 "Premium edition " (not standard) suppports SQL and Exchange on the same box. Additionally in my opinion its never a good idea to virtualise databases because of the I/O and disc swapping involved. SQL depending on the size of the database works better natively.

Comment

Working...
              X