User stuck logging off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User stuck logging off

I have a Windows 2003 SP1 server where I logged on with my admin account, but now it is stuck with the dialog "Saving Your Settings". It has been like this for the last 48 hours. There were no errors produced while logged on to this server.

When I try to log the admin account off from another session, I get the error:

Session (ID 0) reset failed
    (Error 31 - A device attached to the system is not Functioning. )

I can log on using another AD account, but I can not find a way in which I can log my admin account off. I have tried Terminal Services Manager and used every option available to me.

Is there a way other than a reset of the server to fix this issue? Thanks.
    Last edited by JDMils; 14th July 2009, 07:41.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: User stuck logging off

Have you tried the good Ol' Reboot!
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

How about these:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...otelogoff.html

http://rfayoumi.wordpress.com/2007/0...ons-to-logoff/

Good luck!
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Blood, thanks but they didn't work. I still get the same error 31. I looked into restarting the Terminal Services service but that's greyed out.

I would appreciate it if anyone else has any more suggestions. Thanks.

PS. I checked the Event Viewer, Application Log, and there are only two errors:

Code:
        Event Type:	Error
        Event Source:	VSS
        Event Category:	None
        Event ID:	7001
        Date:		14/07/2009
        Time:		12:05:08 PM
        User:		N/A
        Computer:	CRS-SRV
        Description:
        VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: Another shadow copy creation is already in progress. Please wait a few moments and try again. 
        Command-line: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=5 /For=\\?\Volume{2181f11f-d7c6-11d9-b3ba-505054503030}\'.
        and

Code:
        Event Type:	Warning
        Event Source:	Userenv
        Event Category:	None
        Event ID:	1524
        Date:		13/07/2009
        Time:		3:41:10 PM
        User:		SCL\adjmilano
        Computer:	CRS-SRV
        Description:
        Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
        I think the latter event is the reason for the lockup.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Terminal Server? Is this user getting stuck logging off from a Remote Session or from the physical machine?
          11 was a racehorse.
          22 was 12
          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
          ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

My admin account is logged into the server thru RDP. If I log onto the console of this server using the admin account, I will see the same message "Saving Your Settings". The console will then become useless as I can not log off.

If I log onto the server using my Admin account thru another RDP session, the same thing happens to that session and it too becomes "stuck".

This has now happened on three seperate servers in the last 12 months.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

Try using the User Profile Hive Cleaner and see if that works.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en

Comment

do you have roaming profiles ?
                I recall a situation where a workstation was taking over an hour to log on and off.. turns out the guy had 2GB of PST files on his desktop or sometihng..

if you've somehow saved a whole heap of files on your dekstop by accident it could by trying to save the settings ?

have you tried simply killing any processes belonging to that user ?

sigpic

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Comment

Thanks guys.

The Hive Cleaner would have helped if I had it loaded but not in this case where I am trying to cleanly log my admin account off. The admin accounts do not have roaming profiles, our normal accounts do, so in this case it's not profile related.

Looks like there are no services or process I can kill to release the admin account from the RDP session so looks like I'll have to resort to the old-fashioned reboot.

Thanks anyway!
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  |

Comment

You can disconnect RDP sessions using the Terminal Services Manager.

Comment

Sorry, as per my second post:

"Blood, thanks but they didn't work. I still get the same error 31."

Good old reboot coming up in the next two days!!
                      |
                      +-- JDMils
                      |
                      |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                        Sorry, as per my second post:

"Blood, thanks but they didn't work. I still get the same error 31."

Good old reboot coming up in the next two days!!
                        Was that aimed at me????

You never mentioned the Terminal Services Manager, which can be run from any machine on the domain (if you have the correct permissions).

Comment

Sorry. I'm working from the Terminal Services Manager and it will not allow me to log the user off. I think it has something to do with the user logon which still has links open to files or the registry and thus will not log off.
                          |
                          +-- JDMils
                          |
                          |

Comment

Not even when you right click and go reset???

Wow that pretty much works for me everytime i get a hung session.

Can you see what files are open on the server???

Comment

I killed the user in Computer Manager\Shared Folders\Sessions. No files were showing as open and I don't think links to the registry will show anyway.

It's all fine now- did a power-reset to fix the issue. Would have loved to have a non-intrusive fix for it tho! Thanks all!
                              |
                              +-- JDMils
                              |
                              |

Comment

Working...
                              X