Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profile help!

Hi

I have some problems with a roaming profile for a teacher at our school and was wondering if someone could provide some assistance.

This is how it works over here:

Each member of staff who has a roaming profile has an entry in AD users and computers under the profile path in profile which says \\servername\teacherprofile$\nameofuser

On the server where all the roaming profiles are stored there is a folder for each user and in their are the profile objects. Each user has full control to their profile folder.

One particular user is having a right nightmare, basically his profile was so big that we had to delete it and recreate a new one. So what I did was create a new folder in the profile area with a new name and then told AD to point to that new name.

So initially it began working and profile was small and everything was well, but for some reason now all of the original objects have now reappeared again!! I dont know how this could happen because i used a different profile name so even if the teacher logged onto a machine which had his old big profile on there I was expecting that it wouldn't reference to it because it was a different name.

I have tried everything I can think of and am not getting anywhere with this. Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks e had to delete it and recreate a new one. So what I did was create a new folder in the profile area with a new name and then told AD to point to that new name.

So initially it began working and profile was small and everything was well, but for some reason now all of the original objects have now reappeared again!! I dont know how this could happen because i used a different profile name so even if the teacher logged onto a machine which had his old big profile on there I was expecting that it wouldn't reference to it because it was a different name.

I have tried everything I can think of and am not getting anywhere with this. Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Roaming profile help!

Hi,

That happens because a cached local copy of the roaming profile gets copied back to the server when a user logs back on.
    To completely delete their profile you'll need to go to every machine the user is likely to logon and where their profile is cached and delete (Rename better just in case) from there as well as the server copy.
    Otherwise you could look into the delete cached copies of roaming profiles policy setting.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Roaming profile help!

Even though you've changed the name of the network folder for the roaming profile, when a user logs on to a computer the profile name is going to be based on the username. So as L4ndy said, you have to delete the cached profile from every computer this user has logged on to before a new profile will be created. All you've accomplished at this point is to change the name of the network folder where the roaming profile is stored. Once you've deleted all the cached copies you should be in good shape.

Comment

Working...
      X