To patch or not to patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To patch or not to patch

One of our servers has a problem. I can't back up the system state because of an SQL database config error. I think it means that the SQL database won't allow shadow copy. Microsoft has sent me a hotfix link :
    Package:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KB Article Number(s): 828481
    . . . . etc etc

I have a Veritas backup of the C drive but this server is very much in need of a rebuild - what do you think? How good are these fixes? Is there a safer way to do this? I want a System State backup to have for disaster recovery. But I don't want to apply this fix and wreck the sysvol =:0

Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by pksupport; 9th July 2009, 10:55.

Re: To patch or not to patch

Hi,

A little more info on your setup would shed some more light as well.
    It's your call really, but I don't think you have anything to lose by applying the hotfix.
    When you say "But I don't want to apply this fix and wreck the sysvol" does that mean that this is the only DC in your place? If so, I'd suggest you setup another DC on site, wait for a full replication cycle and then run the hotfix on the DC whilst unplugged from the network and check the outcome.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Have you thought about converting the box to a vm and then testing the fix on the vm? Test for a few days or weeks to see if it helped. If so, then rebuild after that.

Comment

Thanks for these good tips. I will make sure the replication is up to date and try it out.

Comment

I tried the patch. I got the message that I had already installed this fix in a previous service pack. So I shutdown SQL and ran the backup, then turned it back on.

Comment

Working...
          X