Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all of a sudden, no internet access

hi all:

been googling 8 hours yesterday & so far, another 6 today and still no go...

yesterday, upgraded firmware on my Linksys wireless router and then lost internet access on w2k3 server and my one workstation which all point their DNS to the ip of the w2k3 server/DC/DNS/AD (and are hard wired, not wireless)

router appears fine as i can get to inet from laptop (which is not using the w2k3 server for it's DNS) *and* i can connect, from both w2k3 server & workstation, using ip addresses

netidag shows no errors
    dcdiag shows no errors

i had forwarders defined (and root hints), removed forwarders, and redefined them... still no go

googling shows many hits that suggest i do this:

nslookup _ldap._tcp.dc._mcdcs.domainname ...

when i issue this command, however, it says this can't be found, saying "non-existent domain"

but

i can see this in the DNS MMC under forward lookup zone/_mcdcs.mydomainname/dc/tcp

and

i can see this in netlogon.dns

from the w2k3 & workstation boxes i can ping the server by both ip & name w/ no probs

nslookup on the domainname or it's ip resolves to correct ip or name (i have a reverse lookup zone defined)

but

nslookup on external domains, of course, time out

dcdiag / test:registerindns / dnsdomain:mydomainname /v says all is cool (i.e., DNS config is sufficient to allow domain controller to dynamically register the DC locator records in DNS *and* to dynamically register the A record corresponding to the DNS name)

nltest / dsregdns / server:machinename completes successfully

am at my wit's end and am contemplating:

1) redoing DNS and/or AD ... but am worried that will kill my workstation in terms of where all its apps are loaded, i.e., it will mess up existing user profiles under Docs & Settings/

and if that's the case, i.e., if i'd have to reinstall everything on client/workstation, then i'm thinking:

2) might not do a server-based network at all

*or*

3) install w2k8 x64 on a new, uni-processor, quad-core Opterone (virgin) box ...

to be honest, i am leaning to doing no server any more based on these last two lost days!!!

as such,

any-any help/ideas would much appreciated

TIA

Re: all of a sudden, no internet access

Can you ping from the server??

Start by trying to ping the gateway address then something on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Can you ping from the server??

Start by trying to ping the gateway address then something on the internet.
      yes - can ping the ip's of the router/gateway, the server, laptop, and my external (co-located in Illinois) domain .. no probs at all

i can also NSLOOKUP external domains ISP-DNS-IPs (i.e., using my ISP's DNS servers, NSLOOKUP resolves external domains just fine

BUT

since i posted my 1st post, i stumbled on this:

How to verify that SRV DNS records have been created for a domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816587

and in it it says:

Active Directory creates its SRV records in the following folders, where Domain_Name is the name of your domain:

Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_sites/Default-First-Site-Name/_tcp

Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_tcp

In these locations, an SRV record should appear for the following services:
      _kerberos
      _ldap

well .... under Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/ there is no DC folder at all ... only a single NS record in this Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs folder

earlier when i said i saw _ldap._tcp.dc._mcdcs.domainname in the DNS MMC and in netlogon.dns i was (mistakenly?) seeing/ooking for it in:

Forward Lookup Zones/_msdcs.Domain_Name/dc/

so if the MS KB article is correct, is this lack of appropriate resource records, where they're supposed to be, the cause of all my angst?

and if so, how might i remedy this ?

as always,

TIA

Comment

So its a problem with your browser then.

Are you using IE?? Any proxy servers??? Checked to see if any proxies have been added???

If netdiag and dcdiag are showing no errors then the SRV records will be fine. BTW they are NOT needed for internet access which is what this question is all about.

Comment

So its a problem with your browser then.

Are you using IE?? Any proxy servers??? Checked to see if any proxies have been added???

If netdiag and dcdiag are showing no errors then the SRV records will be fine. BTW they are NOT needed for internet access which is what this question is all about.
          not sure i follow you about it being a browser problem

but

no proxies, and i use firefox normally

using either IE of firefox, i cannot get to any site b/c the names don't get resolved & the browser will then say can't find server

using IP's, i can get to any site on the web (e.g., 74.125.45.100 takes me to google, 198.66.255.19 takes me to my site)

sure not trying to be rude or argumentative, but doesn't this sound more like a DNS issue?

Also - web surfing from laptop -using all browsers- works fine

i'll be leaving soon for dinner (5:30 here in Sacramento) but will have laptop at home to check for further ideas/replies

thanks again

Comment

I never actually said it wasn't a DNS issue. The SRV records your talking about are for internal use not external resolution.

What are your DNS settings on your server???

Do you have forwarders setup on your DNS server??

Lets worry about the other SRV records issue and get the DNS working first.

Comment

I agree that the problem is related to DNS. I don't think the missing SRV records are the problem as I don't believe they're used for DNS resolution, they're used for locating LDAP and Kerberos servers.

Have you tried flushing the DNS cache on the client and server?

To simplify the troubleshhoting, temporarily remove any forwarders (including any conditional forwarders) and use the root hints only.

Run nslookup on the client for www.google.com and post the entire results here. Include the initial nslookup output when entering interactive mode so we can see what server is being used and what the response is.

Run nslookup on the server for www.google.com and post the entire results here. Include the initial nslookup output when entering interactive mode so we can see what server is being used and what the response is.

Install Wireshark or Microsoft Network Monitor on the client and server, start a capture filtering for DNS and then run nslookup again and take a look at the capture packets. Do this on both the client and the server. This might give you a clue as to what is happening to the DNS requests.

Comment

I never actually said it wasn't a DNS issue. The SRV records your talking about are for internal use not external resolution.

What are your DNS settings on your server???

Do you have forwarders setup on your DNS server??

Lets worry about the other SRV records issue and get the DNS working first.
                10-4; sorry about the pissy-ness

not sure what you mean about DNS settings (e.g., a picture/description of the file/folder heirarchy i see in the DNS Mgmt MMC?) ... it is set to the IP of this machine

and yes, i've re-did the forwarders to point to my ISP's 2 dns servers

FWIW - yesterday, when all hell broke lose, i got 3 DNS EventID 4004 errors (DNS was unable to enumerate zones _mcdcs.domainname, 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, and domainname. it also showed another DNS error, EventID 4015 DNS server has encountered a critical error from the AD...the exteneded error debug info was empty

wullieB - am out the door for now, will log back in once i'm home but won't (obviously) have server if front of me to try anything till tomorrow

10-4 for now,

out

Comment

Do an ipconfig /all on the server and post what you get here, obviously removing any identifying names.

Comment

Did you return the router back to Factory Defaults and then redo all the settings? This was in the Read Me on the last Linksys I did but it was some time ago. (Was a real pain)
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Do an ipconfig /all on the server and post what you get here, obviously removing any identifying names.
                      pretty vanilla & nothing proprietary, so here it is, verbatim:

c:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : va-hq-srv-01
                      Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : viergever.ardenway
                      Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                      IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                      WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                      DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : viergever.ardenway

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
                      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-81-22-66-35
                      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
                      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

1 is the router, 2 is the w2k3 server

out of curiosity, can i re-install -or simply reconfigure via setup wizard- DC, AD and/or DNS without re-installing the w2k3 server proper

*and*

not phk-up anything in the my client/workstation (running xp pro x64)?

if not, then as i've already told my two pressing clients that my system is down and they aren't expecting anything till next week .... maybe i should just bite the bullet and reinstall server (on new box) and client (and go vista x64 from xp x64)

Comment

The only thing that strikes me is the Node Type being unknown, which seems to mean that the server is a WINS proxy, which you wouldn't think would be related to DNS but in a few articles I've read state that the Node type bears into the order of name resolution using broadcasts, lmhosts, and DNS. try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310570

And then this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160177

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          Did you return the router back to Factory Defaults and then redo all the settings? This was in the Read Me on the last Linksys I did but it was some time ago. (Was a real pain)
                          hadn't - but now just finished doing so

no diff - stuff on the LAN can't get out (i.e., no name resolution hence no working internet) but i can via my non-LAN'd laptop

i just saw another reply so will now check those out

thanks again for the advice/suggestion

Comment

hi all:

1st off) many thanks for all the help - had used the petri install/confg guides when i first set the LAN up & these forums have been great

2nd off) user error!!!! kind of ....

in reviewing the issue of NodeType (turns out, pertains to nt/w2k, and on my box, i have no EnableProxy key) i kept coming back to the fact that netdiag & dcdiag all passed, yet was getting errors when i NSLOOKUP'd _ldap._tcp.DC....

anyway, re-did dcdiag with /v & /c & saw that in the DNS test section, that it said my forwarders were not configured...WTF?!?!

went back into DNS MMC and checked the forwarders tab and saw that the SureWest DNS domain i had created (via "new" button) was there and has 2 IPs. There is/was also another DNS domain in that list, called "All Other DNS domains" with no IPs listed. Also - this one appears hardwired b/c i can't Remove it .... so i wondered ... and then Removed the SureWest entry and simply entered my external DNS IP's under this All Other entry .... (upon further reading, it appears that what i had done was create a conditional forwarder??)

re-ran dcdiag /v /test:dns and voila - the forwarders show up & all pass

went into firefox & google.com popped up!!!!

still puzzled about the NSLOOKUP returning No domain for _ldap._tcp.dc._mcdcs.viergever.ardenway ....

BUT

THEN

saw the user error .... it's mSdcs.viergever.ardenway

so ... apologies for being an idiot - well at least a shitty typist

all joking aside - still puzzled why/how a router firmware upgrade & reboot could kill off my internet access in the first place ...

also, equally puzzling .... as i apparently didn't have my forwarders correctly configured before, the root hints must have been working --- but up till a few minutes ago (when i re-did forwarders) they obvioulsy were not working

twilight-zone theme song playing me mind right now

i realize these last ramblings may constitute a new thread, and don't want to be hijacking anything

but still am quite puzzled

yet now, happy!

thanks again all
                            Last edited by wwvierg; 9th July 2009, 23:51.

Comment

Glad you got it working. I'm still puzzled about the node type, but maybe that's something for another day.

Comment

Working...
                              X