No announcement yet.

DHCP Failover in Win2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Failover in Win2003

I'm trying to create a 2 node cluster the purpose of which is to create DHCP failover. I have a primary domain controller and a secondary domain controller both running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. The primary domain controller is functioning as a DHCP server and I want the secondary domain controller to act as the DHCP server as well as domain controller, if that primary controller goes down. I would need to set up a cluster in order to achieve this redundancy.

1. I do not have any external storage to use Quoram disk
    2. When I create a cluster and it doesn't find common storage to use Quoram disk
    3. and thus sets up fails

Any help here would be appreciated, if there is a way to achieve dhcp redundancy without clustering, I'd really like to know about it.
    Last edited by Dipdutta; 7th July 2009, 15:36.

Re: DHCP Failover in Win2003

Not sure where you are going with the Quoram disk stuff, but anyways...

Best rule of thumb is to use the 80/20 rule.

In a nutshell, setup DHCP on both servers. Create a scope for on one server and a scope for on the other server. Configure DHCP Scope options as needed.

That's the quick and easy way to accomplish DHCP redundancy.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Moved to server 2003 forum

Alternative is to split the scope 50/50 between two non-clustered servers
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Also, if you are truly considering running DC's on a MS Cluster have read over this article.

MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2