Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP AND DNS, DNS AND G.WAY of the server could be the same?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP AND DNS, DNS AND G.WAY of the server could be the same?

Hello, guys how are you doing? I have two questions for configuration of DNS with a Router and with out a Router in windows server 2003

I saw in a small office they have 10 computers are connected to a windows server 2003 and with out a Router (no internet connection) it's DNS server = 192.168.0.1 and they configured just like this

Server IP = 192.168.0.1
    SUBNET = 255.255.255.0
    DNS = 192.168.0.1

What I understand from this is the IP and DNS of the server are the same. My question is, are they right? Is it possible to configure like this?

2nd question, I want to configure DNS in windows server 2003 and a Router having dynamic (Private IP Address) which means that the DNS server is Automatic from ISP, right now I choose IP address for the Router = 192.168.16.1 so that, the configuration will be

Server IP = 192.168.16.2
    SUBNET = 255.255.255.0
    G.way = 192.168.16.1
    DNS = 192.168.16.1

Take a look this; the DNS and the Gate way are the same. Can I say that why I choose this DNS server = 192.168.16.1, because the Router is receiving an IP Address automatically from the ISP. So that, I have to choose the DNS same as the gate way address. in order to access an internet just to make it work. Am I right? What if I put any DNS instead of 192.168.16.1? For instance, The DNS = 192.168.16.100? Is this fair? Will it be work?

Please guys I need explanation about this

Thanks

Re: IP AND DNS, DNS AND G.WAY of the server could be the same?

Helo There, it's normal that the dns and ip adreesses are the same, because the server acts as a dns server for local records, if not found, it will be redirected to another ip, likely your router or isp dns servers. Well you cannot put the dns server as 192.168.16.100 because there are no server with that ip acting as a dns server, so the best thing you should do is setup your dns server as 192.168.16.2, and the in the dns server set up the forwarders to 192.168.16.1. check out this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvdnUq4XoFs and read these articles here http://www.petri.com/dns , they will help you out for shure.

Regards
    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by danyee View Post
      Hello, guys how are you doing? I have two questions for configuration of DNS with a Router and with out a Router in windows server 2003

I saw in a small office they have 10 computers are connected to a windows server 2003 and with out a Router (no internet connection) it's DNS server = 192.168.0.1 and they configured just like this

Server IP = 192.168.0.1
      SUBNET = 255.255.255.0
      DNS = 192.168.0.1

What I understand from this is the IP and DNS of the server are the same. My question is, are they right? Is it possible to configure like this?

2nd question, I want to configure DNS in windows server 2003 and a Router having dynamic (Private IP Address) which means that the DNS server is Automatic from ISP, right now I choose IP address for the Router = 192.168.16.1 so that, the configuration will be

Server IP = 192.168.16.2
      SUBNET = 255.255.255.0
      G.way = 192.168.16.1
      DNS = 192.168.16.1

Take a look this; the DNS and the Gate way are the same. Can I say that why I choose this DNS server = 192.168.16.1, because the Router is receiving an IP Address automatically from the ISP. So that, I have to choose the DNS same as the gate way address. in order to access an internet just to make it work. Am I right? What if I put any DNS instead of 192.168.16.1? For instance, The DNS = 192.168.16.100? Is this fair? Will it be work?

Please guys I need explanation about this

Thanks

Hi Danyee

Think you need to take a step back here.

If you are implementing Server 2003, are you installing Active directory? In which case your new server would be your first DNS address on your clients. This would also be distributed out to your clients through DHCP, from your new server.

The DHCP configuration should then point to your router and include the Public facing DNS address. All this can be configured using the install wizards.

I also think your'e a bit confused about how DNS works, whilst its basically a simple process, it still manages to confuse even experinced IT professionals.

Your ISP will either provide a Static IP address to your router, or it will provide one automatically, this address will look different from your 192.*.*.* address.

This is not to be confused in any way with a (APIPA) address Automatic Private IP Address, which usually will start 169.*.*.*

One another angle.....

You mention only 10 Pcs, on the network, in some cases some people would use the router to complete basic firewall and dhcp operations. This may also be suitable solution without the server. In which case I would configure your cleints in the follwoing manner.

IP 192.*.*.*
      Subnet 255.255.255.0
      Gateway Your router address

DNS 1: Provided by your ISP
      DNS 2: Provided by your ISP

Hope this helps and does not cause furhter confusion.....
      MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Hi, guys how you doing?

Kevinguerreiro says "the best thing you should do is setup your dns server as 192.168.16.2,"

You know what , this is not working I have tried now. i mean i put the same thing what you said but the Router is not pinging and i can't access an internet. But it will work if I put both in place of DNS1 and DNS2, I mean just like this

IP = 192.168.16.2
        Sub = 255.255.255.0
        G.W = 192.168.16.1
        PreferedDNS = 192.168.16.2
        AlternateDNS = 192.168.16.1 So, what do you say?

Fergie says "I would configure your clients in the following manner.

IP 192.*.*.*
        Subnet 255.255.255.0
        Gateway Your router addresses

DNS 1: Provided by your ISP
        DNS 2: Provided by your ISP"

1st I am not talking about public IP Address, it is private Address what you are saying is , i have to put the DNS1 and DNS2 from the Router which is provided by ISP dynamically, what about if I restart the Router in case of troubleshoot orů..? do you think the DNS will not change?. but i understand if it is public ( static adress), that is right.

Comment

Never put your ISP's DNS servers in the Preferred and alternative DNS parts.

Install DNS on the server and put the ISP's DNS into the Forwarders tab.

Now to your setup.

Internally you can use any range of IP addresses you want to use. Personally i prefer to use the 192.168.x.x range.

Setup your server with the IP address you want it to have then, 192.168.16.2 and give it your gateway address, 192.168.16.1, set your prefered DNS to 192.168.16.2 and leave the alternative blank.

Your router will get it EXTERNAL address from the ISP and your INTERNAL address will remain static, if thats how you've configured it.

Comment

Side question: How are you accessing this forum? Your post style reminds me of a 3rd party software that skims forum data.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Danyee,

Can I ask a few questions?

Do you have a server with Windows 2003 server installed on it?
              Do you have have an internet connection?
              Do you know the details of the ISP? (Like Willie said do not publish this).
              Can you ping the router at any time?
              Can you connect to the router using Internet Explorer? (Type the routers IP address into a web browser.....)

Yes or now answers for now....

Regards

Comment

fergie says "Can I ask a few questions?

Do you have a server with Windows 2003 server installed on it?
                Do you have have an internet connection?
                Do you know the details of the ISP? (Like Willie said do not publish this).
                Can you ping the router at any time?
                Can you connect to the router using Internet Explorer? "

for the following questions based on the configuration of win 2003 + a Router with the following set up, for all questions the answer is "YES"

IP = 192.168.16.2
                sub = 255.255.255.0
                G.w = 192.168.16.1
                dns1 = 192.168.16.2
                dns2 = 192.168.16.1 ( with out this automatic DNS fro ISP, the answer for the questions are " NO"

Wullieb1 says " Install DNS on the server and put the ISP's DNS into the Forwarders tab "

i have tried this forworder and it's ok (working). but these two forworded DNS are TEMPORARY-DNS, So, what would happen if the Router starts? shall i forword again the new DNS?

THANK YOU GUYS
                Last edited by danyee; 8th July 2009, 19:05.

Comment

Get some static DNS servers for your area.

Comment

Ok Danyee.....

Is DHCP installed on it?
                    See..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323416
                    I reommend you install this and allocate IP addresses out in this way.

Is your server a DNS server?
                    See..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591
                    Like Wullie mentioned earlier you need to get your ISP's DNS addresses, they normally provide two, insert these into the Forward Lookup Zone. See section 5.

Take the time and read the docs, it'll be worth it, long term......

Comment

I getting confused here.

Do you have a router there?

If so,

Router= Gets the WAN info for itself from your ISP.

WAN
                      IP 70.x.x.x
                      Subnet mask 255.x.x.x
                      Gateway 70.x.x.x
                      DNS1 70.x.x.x
                      DNS2 70.x.x.x

Private
                      IP 192.168.1.1 (most likely)
                      Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
                      Gateway 192.168.1.1
                      DNS 192.168.1.1

Clients
                      IP 192.168.1.x
                      Gateway 192.168.1.1
                      DNS 192.168.1.1

The clients will be directed to the router and the router will forward off to the internet.

Can you give us an idea on what your using as far as equipment and whether it's commercial type or a typical appliance you can get from an electronic store?

Comment

Mudd what you are saying is

Private
                        IP 192.168.1.1 (most likely)
                        Gateway 192.168.1.1
                        DNS 192.168.1.1

Clients
                        IP 192.168.1.x
                        Gateway 192.168.1.1
                        DNS 192.168.1.1

yes, you are right i think you understand what i am saying. i was using just like this peer to peer ( work group). now, i want to configure DNS ( WIN 2003 DNS server + this Router) so that, i want join all clients under this domain of the server, My question is, can i make this getway IP Address my DNS?( 192.168.1.1) just like this

SERVERIP = 192.168.1.2
                        subnet = 255.255.255.0
                        G.w = 192.168.1.1
                        DNS = 192.168.1.1

Comment

Working...
                        X