Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Network Configurations with Windows XP - 2 DHCP net

Hi,
    I'm trying to configure my laptop to communicate both with my employer's network and with my home network. I tried to learn from net documentation and found an MS document (http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q283676) and an alternative method (http://www8.pair.com/dmurdoch/netsh.html).
    None of the options worked, since both of my network use DHCP.
    Are there any alternatives?
    If not, what's required to switch my home network into an ip configured system?

Ran

Even though your home network uses DHCP, you can have a fixed IP set up in the "alternate configuration" tab of WinXP's TCP/IP settings. If you get the DNS and Gateway settings from a DHCP client, you should connect OK.

You could also write a logon script to do an IPCONFIG /release and IPCONFIG /renew each time you start up, so it would pick up the LAN you are on.

Finally there are products e.g. Multi Network Manager which store multiple LAN configurations and allow you to specify which one to use at boot.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Daniel,

What happened to your Tips&Tricks entry explaining how to use Netsh.exe for "dump" and "restore" ?

Bill
      * Users Helping Users *
      MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

I don't know. What happened to it? Isn't it still there?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X