WDS captured images not listing at client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS captured images not listing at client

I am in desparate need of help with WDS, running in Mixed Mode on Server 2003, R2, SP2. The RIS legacy images deploy same as before the upgrade to WDS, but all attempts to get my head around WDS and WIM images is failing miserably. I have downloaded, read and followed M-Soft's white paper (all 14 Ch!) for setting up and using WDS, but no joy. Since the legacy RIS RISetup images work on my older client PCs, I'm going to concentrate this on the WDS-WIM side of things.

My first attempt has been to capture/customize/deploy an XP Pro SP3 image from/to Dell Optiplex 755 ultra-small-form-factor PCs. I used the boot.wim file from the Dell Vista Business DVD to verify I could use as a boot image to the Dell (no driver manipulation!!), then created a Capture image from that. I installed XP Pro SP3 using an MVL iso CD to the clean client, and all Dell drivers, then used sysprep to reseal the image. Used the Capture boot WIM to upload the client image to the server, and then added the image to a new group in WDS thru the MMC, where image showed as active. Rebooted the client to the Boot image, selected language, then entered credentials for network deployment. The next screen should show any/all available images available, but it says there are none!!

My coworker & I have spent over a week with this, but every suggestion we could discover on the Web hasn't helped. All this time has been spent on our 'Development' system, which is a couple of hi-end Dell servers running VMWare's ESXi as a base OS, with the Live system duplicated as Virtual Machines. All domain authentication, DNS lookup, SQL activity, etc., is behaving identical to the Live system. But, in an attempt to eliminate the Virtual environment as a variable, I copied the captured image to the Live system, but the same 'no images available' error repeated.

Tracing is running on the development server, but the only thing we can find is an error about 'Cannot Enumerate Images' (!!) But, we've had no luck finding a cause for the error.

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Re: WDS captured images not listing at client

Sounds to me like a permissions issue. The RemoteInstall share is set to Read access for Authenticated Users (Share Permissions) by default, I can't remember what the default NTFS permissions are off the top of my head.

When I set this up for a customer they wanted to prevent normal users from installing images, so I removed Authenticated Users from the list and added a new group called WDS Admins. If I PXE booted and tried to use an account that was not a member of WDS Admins I'd get a blank image list as you are getting.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We thought about that, and explicitly added a single admin user with Full Control to the share, and then to the Image Group, and then to the single image we're trying to deploy. Nothing has helped so far. Any other ideas?

Comment

Have you checked the NTFS permissions as well as the share permissions?

Can you deploy/see a standard (I.e. non-captured) WIM image?
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Share perms: Admins, users and computers all Full Control

NTFS Perms: Admins, System and the one named account we use for image deployment all Full Control.

I imported the 'install.wim' file from the Dell DVD which came with the machine, and it registered as 'Windows VISTA Business', which is what the DVD label said it was. It shows in the WDS console as Online, but we can't see that image on the client, either. We boot to the default Dell DVD boot.wim, then select English (US) as the default language (English UK hasn't made a difference), then submit the login credentials for the named account. We assume we're making the connection, because watching the Share Sessions in Computer Management on the server shows an immediate session opening, but the client just gives us the empty image selection window (with a single line of text telling us there are no images.)

This install was done by installing Server 2K3-SP2 on top of a working Server 2K3, R2, SP1 RIS setup. All the legacy images are available for the legacy clients, and this is our first attempt at WDS and WIM image manipulation. I admit that there must be something mis-configured on the server, but I'm at a loss to know what.

Thanks for the ideas so far, but we're not 'there' yet.

Comment

I had a problem where I removed authenticated users from the share, and had the same problem you are experiencing. Added Authenticated Users back (READ), and the Vista Images started appearing. By default everyone is give Full Control, you could try adding this back if you have changed it on a temporary basis to test if you are uncomfortable with the everyone group.
            Last edited by fergie; 7th July 2009, 09:21.
            MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Unbelievable!! Added 'Authenticated Users' back into the SHARE with Read, and also NTFS with Read, and it works! Many, many thanks!!

We remove the Everyone group as a matter of course on all network resources, as this is a military classified system. In an effort to further limit access to the REMINT share, the Auth Users group was also removed, but the one single admin account we use for deploying images to PC was listed explicitly in the SHARE with Full control, and in the NTFS perms with Full Control.

Anyone care to try & explain why 'Auth Users' is required, despite all other perms settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Rickles View Post
                Unbelievable!! Added 'Authenticated Users' back into the SHARE with Read, and also NTFS with Read, and it works! Many, many thanks!!

We remove the Everyone group as a matter of course on all network resources, as this is a military classified system. In an effort to further limit access to the REMINT share, the Auth Users group was also removed, but the one single admin account we use for deploying images to PC was listed explicitly in the SHARE with Full control, and in the NTFS perms with Full Control.

Anyone care to try & explain why 'Auth Users' is required, despite all other perms settings?
                I have no idea, it had me stumped too, but I just followed my instincts, once I had it working there was no looking back......Never really thought about it again after that....
                MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

That greatly surprises me, as I have successfully removed Authenticated Users from the share in the past (granted on a 2K8 server). I had seen the symptoms before though, which was why I was sure it was a permissions issue.

Still, glad it's working!
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X