ICS between 30 computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS between 30 computer

My main computer uses Win2k and I want to have my other computer use ICs , The network between the 30 computers is working.

very simple
    for the host http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kicshi.htm
    for the client http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kicsci.htm
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

I know that ICS is only good for 2-5 computer , then i must use 6 modem for it , but how set network card?
      i must use 6 network card and set Static IP for clients?

note:
      i must only use 1 hub

Comment

i think that by default the ics is using 192.168.0.1 with mask of 255.255.255.0 so you can share the internet between 253 computers.
        this configuration can be changed by tweaking the registry.
        you need two nics and a broadband line (cable/adsl) in the host and one nic in the clients configured as dhcp client.
        Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

A small note:

Originally posted by shai tsanani
          I don't think you can change this setting in the registry for W2K/XP/Win2003. Only for 98SE and ME.

Besides this, Shai is right. ICS will work for up to 253 computers (actually, even more, there is no hard-coded limit on this), but if I were you I'd consider using a hardware router connected to a modem on one side, and to a switch on the other side. Other options include using W2K/Win2003 server as a software router + NAT.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I don't think you can change this setting in the registry for W2K/XP/Win2003. Only for 98SE and ME.
            thanks for the highlight
            Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
              A small note:

Originally posted by shai tsanani
              You can tweak the registry on W2K/XP/2003 to make ICS use different IP address pool.

Yet, you need to remember that client versions of the OS (W2K Pro and XP) will not handle more than 10 simultaneous connections, hence (I think) ICS will not work for more than 10 clients. And the server versions would do much better with RRAS rather than ICS.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                You can tweak the registry on W2K/XP/2003 to make ICS use different IP address pool.

Yet, you need to remember that client versions of the OS (W2K Pro and XP) will not handle more than 10 simultaneous connections, hence (I think) ICS will not work for more than 10 clients. And the server versions would do much better with RRAS rather than ICS.
                This is getting to become an interesting thread. You say it can be tweaked, yet I don't think you're right. I know for sure that this can be done in Win98SE and ME (I even remember some 3rd-party tool for this), but no matter how hard I looked, it seems that these same settings are non-functional in W2K/XP/2003.

If you insist it can be done, can you please show us some documentation or other information?

As for the connection limit, I believe 10 has to do with the file sharing etc., and not with ICS. I'm almost 100% sure of that, however, I, like yourself, did not even think to try ICS with more than a few computers. It just never came up till now.

I do agree, again, about the need to move to the server OSs and even better - a hardware solution - when dealing with more than a few computers and ICS. Question is if it's something hard coded or not. I don't think that the limitation is hard coded.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

As for the connection limit, I believe 10 has to do with the file sharing etc., and not with ICS. I'm almost 100% sure of that, however, I, like yourself, did not even think to try ICS with more than a few computers. It just never came up till now.
                  there is another opinion although i didn't check it

Originally posted by jason Zandry
                  Windows XP Professional (as well as Windows 2000 Professional and NT4 Workstation) is limited to 10 simultaneous inbound connections for all transports and resource sharing protocols, combined. The maximum inbound limit for Windows XP Home Edition is five.
                  http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/3309791
                  Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Ok, that we know. However I doubt if ICS counts the connections. If so, does it mean that I cannot open more than 10 IE windows, or use more than 10 applications that want to access the Internet at the same time? Sounds suspicious to me.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

This is getting to become an interesting thread. You say it can be tweaked, yet I don't think you're right. I know for sure that this can be done in Win98SE and ME (I even remember some 3rd-party tool for this), but no matter how hard I looked, it seems that these same settings are non-functional in W2K/XP/2003.

If you insist it can be done, can you please show us some documentation or other information?
                      http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kicsad.htm
                      The ICS defaults on the page relate to 2000 RC (RTM uses 192.168.0.x if I'm not mistaken), but the tweak does work.

Not sure...
                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328459/
                      (Under "More Information")
                      Computers that run Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional are licensed for a maximum of 10 concurrent client incoming sessions. Computers that run Windows XP Home Edition are licensed for a maximum of 5 concurrent client incoming sessions. All logical drive, logical printer, and transport level connections combined from a single computer are one session.
                      TCP and UDP are transport level protocols (if we look at OSI). The question is, though, how does ICS server count (if at all) the connections that have final destination other than the ICS server itself.
                      Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Guy,

The registry "hack" is crap, you don't need the registry to do it, just change the IP from the GUI. I'm talking about the fact that ICS acts as a "mini DHCP" and hands out IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254. This setting was tweakable in Win98SE/ME, but not in later Windows versions as far as I know.

As for the limit, there is no practical way for me to check this, so we'll keep it that way...

:P
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Obviously you have not read the link till the end
                          Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Working...
                          X