X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with folder redirection - pst files and My Documents

Hi,
    I am after some advice.

I use an Active Directory domain with Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows XP clients.

I am in the process of setting up some group policies, and also Folder Redirection.

As I am new to Group Policies, I downloaded and installed Microsoft's group policy common scenarios, then created a test OU and linked the Lightly Managed user and machine GPO. I set up folder redirection in both the user and machine GPO, then enabled offline files for the share.

Users store their outlook.pst file in My Documents. I understand that pst files do not work when stored on a network share, can anyone suggest a location to store the pst file, or a good way to deal with pst files when using folder redirection?

I was getting error messages:

a. When running Outlook: "The file C:\Documents and settings\Username\Outlook\Outlook.pst could not be found"

b. On log off "Files of this type cannot be made available offline".

These were resolved by moving the pst file to c:\documents & Settings\username\outlook.pst - but doesn't this defeat the object of folder redirection?

Also, if I save data in C:\Documents and settings\Username\My Documents, this data is not added to the My Documents folder which is accessed via the link on the Desktop. Is this normal behaviour - I would expect these to folders to synchronise.

Thanks

Nick

Re: Problems with folder redirection - pst files and My Documents

You can definitely run PSTs from a network share, it just isn't recommended due to the higher possibility of corruption. Not to mention it'll add additional overhead to the network.

Folder redirection isn't the same thing as folder sync. Redirect means that any shortcut link to My Docs goes to the new location, but the original folder still exists.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would avoid storing PST files on network shares if at all possible. Corruption is almost inevitable. Microsoft have slightly conflicting info on this, I've seen their support personnel suggest workarounds in the newsgroups but AFAIK the KB articles say do not do it with PSTs and MDBs.

If your email server is struggling for space and you have lots of users with PST files then I'd suggest it might be time to look into some sort of Email Archiving product or upgrading the server to something that can support your volume of email more effectively.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Based on what you've said, I will leave the pst files in the user profile, but it will not stored on the network share. I have Exchange 07, but it will be a while before I'm ready to start setting that up.

Nick

Comment

We recently began the migration to AD/Exchange using folder redirection of My docs, where our users' pst file resides. Our work around was to move it out of My docs, (we wnt to C:\mail), but any where would work. We wrote a simple batch file to move the pst folder to the new location, and also to copy the users favorites, my docs contents and outlook rules exports to a folder on the root of C: . This has worked well for us so far and lessens the admin overhead of either explaining to users what needs to be moved or moving it for them.

Comment

Working...
          X