Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing in Windows 2003 and problem with Windows 98

Hello,
    I have a Windows 2003 server which is acting as a Data server. I store all the data in different directories in the server and all the directories are shared. However, I have assigned an user name and password for each directory so that anybody accessing that particular directory can access it only after applying the correct user name and password. While this works fine when we try to access any directory from any machine with Windows 2000, Windows 2003 or Windows XP, from Windows 98 machines I cannot access the same as it only asks for the administrator password and not the user name and the password like Windows 2000, Windows 2003 or Windows XP machines. Is there any solution for the same if I want to access those directories from Windows 98 machines?

I'm not sure but you can try to install dsclient on the windows 98 machines. see if it solve the problem
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Sharing in Windows 2003 and problem with Windows 98

Hello,
      Does dsclient require Active Directory to be activated on Windows 2000/2003 server?

Comment

what is the users/password database?

does it the sam database or active directory?
        if there is an active directory then you must supply user name and passwod from domain and gain access.
        if you don't have ad then you must supply username and password from the server local user accounts (sam)

if you want to use it without username/password then make sure you grant permission to anonimous logon system group.
        Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Sharing in Windows 2003 and problem with Windows 98

Hello,
          I already have user names with passwords created the server local system account and am trying to assign the same to the directories which I wish to share. The problem here is that though Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 machines prompt for the user name and password while trying to access the shared directories, the same does not happen while trying to access the directories from Windows 98 machines. While trying to access the shared directories from Windows 98 machines, it only asks for the password and does not prompt for the user name. I just wanted to know how to access the shared directories from Windows 98 machines in the same way as Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003.

Comment

by default, windows try to logon to resources with the username and password that the user is currently loged on.

so try to logon to windows 98 machine with one of the username/password from the local sam of the windows 2003.
            Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Working...
            X