Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should web/production servers be members of an internal office domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should web/production servers be members of an internal office domain?

Hi guys,

We host 15 public web servers that our developers all access using the local machines admin account. I want to stop this, and would prefer each user to have their own account. My question is, can I (or rather should I) add these servers to our office domain? Users will just authenticate with their AD accounts, but is this a wise thing to do? Are there any negatives?

thanks

Re: Should web/production servers be members of an internal office domain?

You could do and then use something like an ISA firewall to publish the URLs. That way there is not a direct connection to the web servers. Allowing direct access to the domain joined web servers wouldn't be a good course of action.

Comment

Re: Should web/production servers be members of an internal office domain?

I used to work at a government organisation that maintained two completely separate Active Directory environments for the internal network, and what they termed the "IDC" or internet domain component.

While the username prefix was the same basically (ie, tehcamel) to get into the other domain, you had to logon to ServerA using your internal network account (internal\TehCamel)

and then remote desktop out into the external network, using external\TehCamel_X

There should be a Microsoft white paper I beleive on the concept of an "Internet Data Center" which is what the model was based on.. it also relates to tiered web applications.. IE, Web or presentation component server, business logical component server, and a separate database server.. it's actually a really really cool, in depth model.

(sorry, I went wayy off topic)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X