Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local User Accounts When a w2k member Server Is Promoted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local User Accounts When a w2k member Server Is Promoted.

Hi. Im new to the site and need a question answered. I've done some searching and can't find a definitive answer on this one. I have a windows 2000 server that is a member of an AD domain (say it's called Current-dom.com). This server has local user accounts. I want to promote this server and make it the forest root of a completely new forest/domain/AD (call it New-dom.com). What is going to happen to the local user accounts that are in the sam? Will they get converted to domain accounts and retain the file level permissions? Or will the a new sam overwrite the local accounts? There used to be a KB article (296561) that I've seen a web site reference, but an exhaustive search of MS's web site give no reference to this article or number. Title "How the Local User Accounts Are Handled When a Server Is Promoted to a Domain Controller". Now I dont know if the article was for WinNT or 2K or what, but at least the info was out there somewhere. Anybody have a definitive answer on this? Much appreciated.

This KB should partually answer your question:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223301/

If I'm not mistaken, the local accounts will be available only in DSRM mode (when local SAM is used) and won't be migrated during the dcpromo.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Yes, the local accounts on a server will migrate to AD only if it is the first DC in the domain.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

My bad.
        (it's been a while since I dcpromo-ed a server that was built for anything else other than being DC and had local user accounts)
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

thanks guys. your answer is appreciated. great site...

Comment

Working...
          X