XP Pro & Service Packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro & Service Packs

What should be installed first on a clean install? The drivers or the Service Pack for the best results.

Does whether your chipset drivers are installed effect whether you should install the SP before or after the chipset drivers?

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I normally install all drivers etc before applying the Service Pack. (However, if you have slipstreamed SP1 onto XP or Win2K then you will be "applying" the Service Pack before you install the drivers.)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I always install the service packs/patches first and then update all of my drivers. I have seen some drivers that require/suggest that you install SP1 first.

Alister

Comment

Let me second on that:
        In certain configurations the SP might override the OEM drivers to Microsoft ones. This is a good enough reason for first installing the SP and only then installing the recent OEM drivers.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: XP Pro & Service Packs

Originally posted by tacitus
          What should be installed first on a clean install? The drivers or the Service Pack for the best results.

Does whether your chipset drivers are installed effect whether you should install the SP before or after the chipset drivers?
          SP1, chipset drivers, graphics drivers etc, IMHO.

Comment

Just as a footnote...

If you use the Windows Update site and do a scan on a new XP build you get at least 50+ Critical / Hotfixs to install.

If you install SP1 first, then go back and scan, this reduces the amount considerably.

So my Vote is the same, Service packs first.
            If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Working...
            X