Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I transfer rules from one win2k server to another?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I transfer rules from one win2k server to another?

Due to complex problems within an existing schema, we would like to rebuild the domain on a new DC, so we want to move the rules from the old server to a new server. for that reason we created 2 dummy servers, and I would love any help/links that can aid us in the transfer of the rules from one DC to the other.

thanks!

Oren.

Are you talking about the AD Schema or what? I don't know what "rules" are, but you did mention the schema. If it's AD related - let me know and I'll move the topic to the AD forum. in any case, please explain what you mean.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Oops..

you're right. I meant FSMO Roles.. not rules..

:>

Comment

Assumeing you're scrapping your old AD schema (if it has problems, they will get replicated to new DCs), the first new DC you create will have all the roles provided its in a new forest. After that you can transfer roles in the normal way, through the AD control panels.

There is also the option to "seize" roles, for example from a failed DC, using the NTDSUTIL command line utility

If you want to give us a little more detail of the problem, you'll probably get clearer advice <g>

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X