No announcement yet.

user profile grey out

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user profile grey out

I am tying to change a user profile from local to roaming but the option to change is greyed out. I was able to copy the profile from the computer to the server. I rebooted, logged in as admin and still greyed out.

Re: user profile grey out

Can you please give us a clue as to the systems involved?

Client OS?
    Server OS?
    Network (AD or workgroup, domain functional level)?

Is this on all computers or just one?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Windows XP sp 3, Server 2003, and one computer. No matter what I do it stays grey out.

You need to set up and configure roaming profiles before you can convert the local profile to a roaming profile.

You'll need to set up a network share for the profiles with the appropriate Share and NTFS permissions and then you'll have to configure the Profile tab on the ADUC user object to point to the profile share.

Once you do that, log on to the computer where the local profile is as the user in question and the profile should automatically now be a roaming profile. If not you should be able to change the type to roaming.

Can't find what I did wrong. I previously completed the same steps to described but could not get it to work. It is working now. So now I need to copy the local profile over to the profile on the server. thanks

One more thing, I created the share with the $ to prevent browsin so now when I try to copy the files over I can't see the folder. Is there a way I can view the folder?

Instead of browsing for the network path, type in the network path like:

You will need to type \\servername\sharename$ to access the folder

I was viewing/typing while Joe was posting
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy