Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• managing multiple images on WDS

Hello,
    I successfully deployed and use WDS on 2003 (xml and sysprep are on server). Until now I used 1 image. Now I need to add more images to WDS.
    Spent some time and cannot find clear instructions for that.

Please provide some help, link to doc or blog...

Thx.
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: managing multiple images on WDS

Will this do: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ImagesUsingWDS
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Unfortunately, not. This doc is good for creating initial images (capture, install).
      I have no problem.

Cannot find a clear doc for adding more images and use of multiple unattend.xml and sysprep.ini
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

What OS(s) are you deploying? For Vista there are 2 XML files, one is attatched to the server and the other to each individual image so you can customise/override server settings at the image level.

For XP sysprep.ini is stored in a share on the server, to use a different sysprep.ini as far as I know you need to create a new Image Group so that the share paths are unique.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi cruachan,
          you are back

sorry, I didn't mention OS for deployment. But I mentioned that unattend.xml and sysprep.ini are on WDS share.
          Yes, now I need to capture and distribute couple of more XP images.

For now I found that in xml I can repeat the section for install image. So, I made a conclusion that xml file should be one only. Correct? When I will capture a new image I will create the IMAGE section in xml with the name of an image.

About sysprep.ini. This is the path for my current image:
          D:\RemoteInstall\Images\xp-images\xp-5800-(1)\$OEM$\$1\sysprep\sysprep.ini

Following instructions I manually created folders :
          \xp-images\xp-5800-(1)\$OEM$\$1\sysprep\

in D:\RemoteInstall\Images\ and placed my sysprep.ini

You mentioned that for your knowledge, I need to create a new image group.
          Probably I will need to create the same folder structure for placing new sysprep.ini

I thought may be I need to create \$2\sysprep\ in $OEM$.

I'm really missing a piece of puzzle here.

What about menu for image choice. Should it appear automatically when few images will be declared in xml?
          Do you use multiple Vista images? Xp is trickier because of sysprep.ini.

Thx.

Comment

I've set it up with multiple Vista images, but the only differences between them are a few apps so all use the same xml files. However the client unattend file has to be explicitly linked to the image in the WDS console, I just happen to be using the same one for each.

Now if I've got this right for XP (been investigating this for a customer, far from an expert ) you can either use multiple Image Groups or you can use a nested structure in the WDS share folder. The sysprep.inf file should go in to \RemoteInstall\Images\ImageName\$OEM$\$1\Sysprep\Sysprep.inf where ImageName is the name of the WIM file minus the .wim extension. E.g. if the image is called personnel.wim the ImageName parameter would be personnel.

As I recall from setting it up you don't need to do anything to get the menu options for which image to install. You'll firstly get a DOS type screen if you have multiple boot images (E.g. a standard boot and a capture image for creating custom images) and then you'll get the standard Vista language choice screen. Click next to that (makes no difference as your unattend files will set the language) and then you get the list of images as if they were on a DVD, like the list of versions of Vista you get when you install off a DVD. As I recall you then get prompted for credentials. Permission to install an image is set by the share permissions on the WDS folder on the server, which is Authenticated Users by default, but I deleted this and created a WDS Admins group for this to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X