Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard not working when installing Server 2003

Hi all

Trying to rebuild an oldish (2000) RM Systembase AX server. It is a Intel P3 machine. It was running Server 2003 and I want to totally flatten it and put 2003 R2 on. But when I boot to the CD I get to the blue screen that says:

Code:
    Welcome to setup

To Setup Windows now, press ENTER

To repair.....

To quit....
    But the keyboard is unresponsive, nothing works (caps lock, num lock etc...). It obviously works as I had to press 'any key' to boot from the CD. Plus I can navigate the BIOS. I've tried a USB keyboard too but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Chris
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Keyboard not working when installing Server 2003

Hey there,if the keyboard is PS2, have you seen if the keyboard has one of the pins broken ? Probably for a old machine P3 it doesent support USB keyboards, have you checked that in BIOS ?

Regards
    Kevin

Comment

Hi

Nope, no bent pin. Tried another keyboard and the same thing happens. Nothing in the BIOS about USB keyboard support.

The keyboard works (num lock on and off) as the installer is loading the drivers (SCSI card drivers etc...) but when it gets to the bit saying "Setup is starting Windows" all the lights on the keyboard flash on then all off and then it stops working!!!

Even tried another copy of Server 2003 and no joy.

Very annoying!!!
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I was going to suggest trying another copy of 2003, but i see you've already tested this.

I actually had this same problem with an RM System base AX.

Although our problem wasn't the keyboard, yes the keyboard stopped repsonding, but it was a dodgy SCSI card that stopped the system repsonding, at the same point.

You could try removing / reseating other hardware components SCSI Card, RAM etc.
        MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Tony, try to desactivate aCPI in BIOS and the LPT POrt and see what happens.

Regards
          Kevin

Comment

None of the above has worked.
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Success!

Fergie did suggest the solution but I didn't go through completeley with it. I removed the DDS4 tape drive. Now installing!!

Thanks for everyones help.
              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
              X