X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow remote to Console session only

Dear all
    I use Windows server 2003
    I provide to my friend an account with Administrators right and allow him to RemoteDesktop to this server
    I just want that he can only remote to Console session, not other sessions.
    Of course he can do by argument "/console" (or "/admin").
    But how to force him to remote to Console session event he does not use these arguments?

Thanks

Re: Allow remote to Console session only

IMHO the best way is to save a rdp shortcut with all the settings he needs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What do you mean "IMHO" please?

Comment

In My Humble Opinion
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          In My Humble Opinion

I thought it was Irreversible Modification Herewithin Overbalancing
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Can I do anything by GroupPolicy gpedit.msc?

Comment

Originally posted by thang_ngo_2002 View Post
              Can I do anything by GroupPolicy gpedit.msc?
              If you just want him to logon remotely and not interactively you can use the following GPO settings:

Computer configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local policies - User right assignments and configure
              Deny log on locally
              and Allow Log on through terminal services by adding the username or security group in there.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

To summarize, I think it's impossible to prevent someone from using remote desktop to connect to anything other than the console session. Ossian's idea of creating a pre-made shortcut and sending it to your friend seems like solution that would offer the most consistent results.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  To summarize, I think it's impossible to prevent someone from using remote desktop to connect to anything other than the console session. Ossian's idea of creating a pre-made shortcut and sending it to your friend seems like solution that would offer the most consistent results.
                  Of course he knows remote desktop parameters, what I want is force him to do.

Other ways, we can change to another remote tools, ex: Dameware, VNC, ... they allow only console session. But they are not good as Remote Desktop

Comment

Originally posted by thang_ngo_2002 View Post
                    Other ways, we can change to another remote tools, ex: Dameware, VNC, ... they allow only console session. But they are not good as Remote Desktop
                    As a proponent of Dameware, I would argue against that. In what way does Dameware Mini Remote Controle (DMRC) displease you?
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

DMRC is not free
                      VNC is free but some cases during longtime remote, it makes problem with memory

Comment

You could instruct the user to logon using this command only....

mstsc -v:servername /F -console

May I ask, is there a specific reason you want them console only?

Applies to TS Client versions up to 6 only. XP SP3 and Vista use 6.1 which now requires /admin switch.

There's no built-in setting to restrict connections to a 2003 Server (in Remote Admin mode) to console connections (session 0) only.

But you can achieve this by running a small script on logon, which checks the sessionID and immediately logs off any non-console sessions:

for /f "tokens=3" %%i in ('query session ^| find ">"') do (
                        if %%i neq 0 (
                        msg %%i /w "Sorry....."
                        logoff
                        )
                        )
                        Last edited by fergie; 17th June 2009, 13:21. Reason: Additional Info
                        MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Originally posted by fergie View Post
                          You could instruct the user to logon using this command only....

mstsc -v:servername /F -console

May I ask, is there a specific reason you want them console only?

Applies to TS Client versions up to 6 only. XP SP3 and Vista use 6.1 which now requires /admin switch.

There's no built-in setting to restrict connections to a 2003 Server (in Remote Admin mode) to console connections (session 0) only.

But you can achieve this by running a small script on logon, which checks the sessionID and immediately logs off any non-console sessions:

for /f "tokens=3" %%i in ('query session ^| find ">"') do (
                          if %%i neq 0 (
                          msg %%i /w "Sorry....."
                          logoff
                          )
                          )
                          You are great! Thanks for intelligent way

Comment

Working...
                          X