Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Migration (Hardware Replacment)

Hi all.

I have been asked to investigate the possibility of replacing the hardware on a windows 2003 standard server sp2. I have read many articles on this site which have helped a lot but none are exactly my scenario (that I can find anyway). I would therefore be grateful if anyone could confirm the following steps and clarify some points.

The server in question is the only server in the company and therefore is the only DC, the GC, and contains all the FSMO roles. It also acts as DNS, DHCP, file server and terminal services server.

So I see the process as follows.

1. Once the new hardware has server 2003 installed, install all services i.e. dns, dhcp, terminal services etc

2. Run dcpromo to make new server DC and wait for replication

3. Run netdiag and dcdiag to confirm new dc is operating correctly.

4. Make new server GC

5. Transfer FSMO roles

6. Migrate data.

7. run in parallel and then take old server off line.

8. if all is ok after 2 weeks then dcpromo old server to remove it from domain.

My questions are:

1. Will I need to pay for a new licence for server 2003 even though the old server will not be used after the migration?

2. Is there a tool for migrating the data (including shares) or is this done manually?

3. Will terminal services require any additional configuration?

4. I read in a similar post that domain prep and forest prep should be run but suspect this is only required when upgrading from server 2000 to server 2003. Am i correct in thinking this?

5. I imagine that I should reconfigure clients to use the new server between steps 6 and 7. Is this correct?

As you may have guessed I am fairly new to the concept of migration and therefore any help / advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Kester

Re: 2003 Migration (Hardware Replacment)

The process seems fine. Old server will need to be on-line to DCPROMO down

Regarding the license -- is the old server on an OEM copy of 2003? If so the license is tied to the processor and will need replacing. If not, you could stretch the licensing slightly and install on the new server using the same key (but do not activate) then activate as soon as the old server is gone

Domain and Forest Prep are required when changing versions

Clients will need logon scripts, mapped drives etc changed -- as you say, during step 7
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One small correction here Tom which I'm sure was a typo. An OEM licence is tied to the motherboard. This becomes a big problem if you have a motherboard failure 1 month after purchase as you then are required to purchase a new Server 2003 licence.

And just to go a bit further offtopic, what I do not know is if the 5 CALs that come with the OEM licence are also tied to the motherboard. One woud think so as there is not a CAL number to enter when the O/S is initially installed.

Apologies Kester. I hope this has not muddied Toms' (Ossian) answer to your question.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Absolutely correct -- should have said MoBo.

Interesting about the CALs too -- I assumed they belonged to the domain
        <exit to re-evaluate CAL requirements>
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks guys.

At least i know im on the right track

The sever 2003 is oem and so it looks like a fresh licence will be required which I feel is a bit of a scam. Pay up and look happy i guess.

Any thoughts on my question 2 i.e. migration of data and shares?

Thanks again

Kester

Comment

This may be contradictory to what others here may recommend but if the goal is to maintain everything as it is, and this is the only DC and the only server in your domain than I might suggest using an imaging solution to create an image of the drive and restore that image to the new server. You'll want to use an imaging solution that can perform bare metal restores to dissimilar hardware. There are a number of products on the market that can do this. I've used both Acronis and BackupExec for this purpose (but not for a DC).

Again this might be contradictory to what others may suggest, as imaging a DC is generally frowned upon, but this is the only DC you have so the issues that would normally come in to play don't really have any bearing here IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            X