Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set up ad for a network that have solaris set up with usernames

Hi Guys,

I have to set up a domain controller for a network that has Solaris (Unix) with all the username and passwords. There are no existing AD, however the Solaris network has been already set up and have currently a lot of users. The company wants all the users to have one password. Is there away to have the Unix Server synchronize with Active Directory (meaning Active Directoy getting the Username from the Unix Server)

Re: Set up ad for a network that have solaris set up with usernames

depends on what Solaris uses as it's database.. is it some form of LDAP ?

You can definitely make linux-based systems authenticate off Active Directory, i'm not sure about the other way.

(Actually,I thnk you can make Samba work as a domain controller.. maybe this is what you need to look up.. SAMBA as a PDC)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I still want windows as my PDC but I want to synchronize the usernames on the Unix System.

Comment

which my post said you can do.

and a correctly worded Google search will also find you details on how to do this.
        http://www.google.com.au/search?q=so...ient=firefox-a
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I don't want to authenticate from Windows. The username and passwords are on the Unix Servers and I want to bring them into Active Directory. just want to know if that is possible

Comment

so.
            setup samba as a domain controller, to use the already existing user database to authenticate.
            then setup a windows server as a domain controller, and replicat the domain.
            then make sure the windows server has all the roles.
            then shutdown the samba server.
            there you go. unix accounts migrated to AD.

that's probably a long winded way.
            I'd look up something like "migrate nis to AD" or 'migrate YPbind to AD"
            or whatever centtralied database you are using for authentication.

failing that - i'd employ a consultant or contractor who has experience in what you're trying to do.. because if you can't even find steps forward based on what i'm telling you, there's no way in hell you'll pull this off by yourself.

Comment

Daft question tim ebut if you have your users authenticating from Solaris WHY do you need AD???

Comment

I need AD to manage about 300 pcs, windows update server, group policy and all this good stuff. We want to have a centralize password for all the system that we are using, thus the synchronization between Unix and Windows. Techcamel thanks a lot for your help. I was also that a trust between both domains might be an option? Any Idea?

Comment

well, does the solaris environment use ldap, nis, ypbind, or something else ?
                  Can Active Directory establish a trust with a non Active-Directory environment ?

Why don't you go see if you can find this out.....

Comment

I don't know if this will fit the bill but a Windows Server 2008 DC has an optional component called Identity Management for Unix and another component called Password Synchronization (for Unix). You could look into it and see if it provides a solution for your needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X