Licensing issue on windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing issue on windows 2000

ok i have bout 45 computers logging on to one windows 2000 domain controller. we have 25 licences running in per server mode.

we want to get another windows 2000 server to run a mail server software and print services.

whats the cheapest option for us to go toto control panel - licenses and change the mode to per seat? will this cause problems as we have 45 client loggin on?

can i disable the license logging service? will this remove all licenseing requirements?

if the 45 clients are using the server in the time then the cheapet way is per seat

if the clients are using the server not the same time (the connection to the server are less then 45) , then the cheapet way is per server.

note that you can change the license from per server to per seat but not vice versa

more about licensing http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...loverview.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

btw the links are for windows 2003 but the principle is the same
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

thanx mate. just out of interest under windows server 2000 i thought there was a way to remove the licensing so you could have unlimited connections?

Comment

Originally posted by 2bad82
        thanx mate. just out of interest under windows server 2000 i thought there was a way to remove the licensing so you could have unlimited connections?
        That is an inappropriate question for this site. The action you are "thinking" about is illegal. Thank you.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

very true i do apologise although they do actually bum rape us on licensing costs. pay an increased fee for the server software and then they charge us to connect to the bloody thing we just purchased.

ah well...........

Comment

Working...
          X