• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to share my network drive through my server

hello

i have a w.d sharespace 4tb in raid 5 connectd to lan
    when i map a network drive to my server i'cant share it to users

so my question is how i share my w.d sharespace to users through my server ?

thanks
    yoav

Re: how to share my network drive through my server

ok - if you map a network drive to your server, you cannot then 'remap' it out to your other users.

Could you try and explain a little more for me what you're trying to do, how you're trying to do it, and what you mean when you say if it's mapped to the srver the users can't map it?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

i just want to share my w.d sharespace through my server
      because i want to control the share permision

if i allow access to the users to the w.d sharespace so everyone can access to it

thanks
      yoav

Comment

Wel it's a little bit hard to understand, you want to control the permitons, but just to share to some users? all users ? a group of users ? do you have a DC ? try to give more details.

Regards
        Kevin

Comment

I am going to take a stab at this... do not understand what you really want to do but here goes

the server should be a DC. where you have added the users in AD. what you need to do then is share the folder go to the permissions and add the seleceted users. From there you can give them certain permission sets to access or view your files. Then you just have the simple task of right clicking my computer and go to map network drive...

Comment

thats the problem i cant share the network drive

when i map it to my server and goes to right click ---> properties

i dont have the share tab like a noman folder share

yoav

Comment

How about you answer the questions about your network setup. Everyone is playing guessing games because you won't supply the information or answer asked questions.

Read the following and then post back again. http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=11
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you joined the WD ShareSpace to your Active Directory?

WD ShareSpace Network Storage System User Guide (page 105)
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by yoav643 View Post
                  thats the problem i cant share the network drive

when i map it to my server and goes to right click ---> properties

i dont have the share tab like a noman folder share

yoav
                  that's correct. You cannot. Share. A. Network.Mapped. Folder.

Ie, I can share my C: drive, because it's physically on my server.
                  However, if i try to share my H: drive, which is on a different serer, but just a mapped network drive, I can't share it.;
                  you can only share it from the source.

What i'm saying it - you cannot do what you want to do. You have to create the shares and permissions on the WD device.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

yes you are right - i learnd it hard way

thanks
                    yoav

Comment

What you can do, that will probably have the desired result, is join the storage device to your domain and setup user permissions accordingly. This assumes that you have a DC and that the storage device your working with is capable. Almost all of the linux based NAS devices will join a domain. If you can get all that working, you can add the appropriate mount to your logon script and it really wouldn't matter whether the clients were accessing the device directly or accessing your server. You can still set file permissions based on the users in your domain from an administrator account just like any other share.

Comment

thank you very much
                        but i all ready do that

thanks
                        yoav

Comment

Attach the drive to your Server physically by USB. After the drive shows up, then right click the drive, and get to enable this drive as a share. Then add the users you want to have access to it in the permission area. Then go to each users machine and map a drive to that drive on your server by it's name. Probably something like,
                          Code:
                          \\servername\drive or share name
                          Last edited by Mudd; 9th July 2009, 23:15.

Comment

But its a NAS drive and may not even have USB capability
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              But its a NAS drive and may not even have USB capability
                              I googled the model he stated he had and it did have a USB interface so it should work. Like this one

What do you say OP, can it be done this way or not?
                              Last edited by Mudd; 11th July 2009, 00:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X