Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backing up Exchange and SQL (was:Looking for Advice)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up Exchange and SQL (was:Looking for Advice)

We are a small business and currently have 2 servers (and about 70 XP desktops). One 2003 DC running Exchange 2003, and the other 2003 running SQL 2005 and various other apps. I am running Backup Exec 10d and looking to upgrade. I've looked into Appassure replay for Exchange as well as Backup Exec 12.5. Both seem to require another server to store the backup snap shots, so I was thinking of doing disk to disk to tape backups. I was also going to make the new server a DC so I have redundancy. I'm open to other suggestions, but please keep in mind we don't have a huge budget.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by timmytimm3; 4th June 2009, 13:57.

Re: Looking for Advice

First piece of advice is to use a better title!
    You should know the rules after 28 posts: http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=26

I am using BackupExec 12.5 in an enterprise environment and have no problems with it, but if you are watching costs, there is a very good program called NTBackup

Agree re an additional DC -- but note you will have problems if you ever try to demote your Exchange box (MS recommend you do not make a DC an Exchange server)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Looking for Advice

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      First piece of advice is to use a better title!
      You should know the rules after 28 posts: http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=26

I am using BackupExec 12.5 in an enterprise environment and have no problems with it, but if you are watching costs, there is a very good program called NTBackup

Agree re an additional DC -- but note you will have problems if you ever try to demote your Exchange box (MS recommend you do not make a DC an Exchange server)
      I should have used a more descriptive title. (fixed).

Another concern is backup times. What I've read about the Appassure product is that there is not "backup window" since there is always snap shots being created. Currently my backup is conflicting with the Exchange maintenance window.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X