Need Help from any MCSE out there !

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help from any MCSE out there !

Hi guys,
    Here's the deal:
    I have very little knowledge about winodws server in general and windows server 2003 in particular.
    I have a task to install a windows server 2003 on a dedicated machine that will accept incoming vpn clients from around the world.
    Here is what I have to work with :
    I have a cisco router that is also a DSL modem.
    that router is connected to a switch that gives all pc's in the lan internal ip's and all of them are using cisco gateway to access the internet.
    On this cisco (dont ask me how) there are 6 public ips that are given by the ISP.
    Now, I can connect a dedicated server machine to the sitch and give it manually one of the public ips I have and also use the ciscos gateway.
    this dedicated server is not supposed to connect to any pc's in the LAN (it can be either way, dont care).
    From here I have no clue how to continue.
    I tried to read online books on this subject and read the microsoft step by step guide but the scenarios there are not like mine.
    mine is very simple but still have no idea what to do.
    Can anyone please help or atleast give me a usufull link for dummies?

Thanks !

do you have to have the 2003 server?
    what model cisco router you have there?
    Some of the Cisco routers come with VPN abilities and you will be able to save alot of headaches just using the Cisco as your VPN server.

If not - I would consider ISA server for VPN software if you are into m$.

Tell us the router model and we'll see where to take you from there.
    Visit iCount
    Visit MSEC
    Visit Melariche

I think its cisco 837.
      One more thing, we have also connect to that switch a windows 2000 server with one of the public ips that was configured to do the same thing.
      it works great but someone pro did it and I have no idea how he did it.

Take a look at this:
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

this link looks good.
          I will try it first thing tomorrow.

Now that I think about it I think I already did the exact same thing.
            But I have 2 problems:
            1. After I enabled Routing And Remote Access Services I no longer had internet on the server machine itself
            when i stop the service the inet is back
            2. in the other vpn server which i did not configure, i see in the active direcory in a specific user that the Asign static routs check box in the dial in tab is enabled and checked
            I dont remember how its configured exactly now, but will post it if u need when im at the office.

Also I forgot to ask,
              What about domain controller?
              Its enabled in the 2003 server. should it?

a windows 2003 server does NOT become a domain controller by default.
                if you want it to be one, you will need to run "dcpromo"
                Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...