Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems in printer spooler in Clustered env

Hi

I have a print server that is installed on a clustered environment.
    active-passive mode.
    Both servers are windows 2003, Ent, SP2 R2.
    The problem started about 3 weeks ago.

New printers that are installed won't appear in the Active Directory until I restart the spooler.
    Some printers are stuck on "deleting - spooling" situation which will be fixed when the spooler restarts as well.

It's a big issue to restart the spooler since it's a 24 hours serving company, and over 250 printers, (and not a good idea cause it won't solve the original problem)...

Any suggestions?

(And yes, there is a "v" checked on all printers in "list in the directory" area)

Poly.

Re: Problems in printer spooler in Clustered env

Hey Poly, nice to see you back and apart from this problem hope things are good for you. Sorry I can't help with your problem as I work in cluttered and not clustered environments.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Any events logged?
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Check the pruning and publishing settings in your GPO. By default, a domain controller will prune printers from AD if the computer that published them can't be contacted (I don't know the contact method or interval, although you can set the interval in the GPO). You can over-ride the pruning by disabling the setting in your GPO. You can also configure your GPO to log pruning retry events so that you can see in the event log if it is in fact pruning that's causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Hey Poly, nice to see you back and apart from this problem hope things are good for you. Sorry I can't help with your problem as I work in cluttered and not clustered environments.
          Nice to see you too

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Hi,

Any events logged?
            Only the regular logs that mention that a new printer was installed on the server.
            no warning or critical events.

not anything specific in the Cluster logs as well...

Comment

You could try to Enable printer informational notifications in the Printers Folder,
              File, Server Properties, Advanced
              and Log spooler information events.
              See what events are being logged or you could give this a try

gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration
              Administrative Templates
              Printers
              Check Published state

Ref: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversat...eadid=30165360
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Check the pruning and publishing settings in your GPO. By default, a domain controller will prune printers from AD if the computer that published them can't be contacted (I don't know the contact method or interval, although you can set the interval in the GPO). You can over-ride the pruning by disabling the setting in your GPO. You can also configure your GPO to log pruning retry events so that you can see in the event log if it is in fact pruning that's causing the problem.

About that.
                "Determines whether the domain controller can prune (delete from Active Directory) the printers published by this computer"

I have two physical nodes but the printers are published under the cluster's "network name".
                So - if I go to the server's local "printer's and faxes" it'll be empty.
                This GPO setting controls the local server, nor the cluster resource...

Am I right?

Comment

You could try to Enable printer informational notifications in the Printers Folder,
                  File, Server Properties, Advanced
                  and Log spooler information events.
                  See what events are being logged or you could give this a try

gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration
                  Administrative Templates
                  Printers
                  Check Published state

Ref: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversat...eadid=30165360
                  Again - since it is cluster,
                  the gpedit.msc only controls the local server/machine, and not the network name it works with in the cluster Env...

Comment

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Print queue objects in 2003 clustering are named with the virtual print server name, but they are children off a physical computer account. Which computer account the printers are children of is determined by the physical node that owned the cluster spooler resource when the printer was originally published in AD. As a virtual print server fails between nodes, the printer objects in the directory are not re-published (I assume unless the object is not found in the directory).
                      http://waynes-world-it.blogspot.com/...3-cluster.html

Not sure if you have been across this blog already but it might be worth a glance especially the paragraph above.
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

http://waynes-world-it.blogspot.com/...3-cluster.html

Not sure if you have been across this blog already but it might be worth a glance especially the paragraph above.
                        Hi L4ndy,

read it, and I know that when I publish a printer and everything is working like it should - I see it under the physical node in the active directory.

My problem is that for now - printers are not published at all...

BTW - it got worse - now even restarting the spooler don't publish the printers.

Comment

Poly,

In a last desperate attempt, see if this sheds any more light: http://blogs.technet.com/pfe-ireland...ites-back.aspx
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Poly,

In a last desperate attempt, see if this sheds any more light: http://blogs.technet.com/pfe-ireland...ites-back.aspx
                            Nice article to keep in general, but it got nothing that moves me forward in my current problem.

Thanks a lot anyway !!!

Poly.

Comment

OK

The solution was, as weird as it sounds --- in the DC's.

the DC's had every few hours a w32time (event 27)

did the following in both DC's (after just restarting the windows time service didn't work)

net stop w32time
                              w32tm /unregister
                              regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\w32time.dll
                              w32tm /register
                              net start w32time

after doing that everything turned out to be just fine !

Comment

Working...
                              X