No announcement yet.

Newby need help configuring Windows 2003 Storage server with Redhat Enterprise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby need help configuring Windows 2003 Storage server with Redhat Enterprise

Hi, all this is my 1st post here. Im kinda new to Windows Server hopefully you guys wont mind entertaining a newby.

I need some advice on configurations. Currently in our company we have

1) 2 units of Dell Poweredge 2950 - installed with Redhat Enterprise on both
    2) Dell Powervault NF500 - installed with WIndows 2003 Storage Server (NAS)
    3) all of them are connected to Watchguard Firebox (firewall)

Currently we have an application server which is only installed on one of the Dell Poweredge. I need advice on how can I configure

a) redundancy meaning one Poweredge down the other will take over
    b) the data will be kept in the Dell Poweredge at the same time have a copy in Dell Powervault (NAS)

I have googled for WIndows 2003 Storage Server for step by step documentations but was unable to find anything useful.

Need advice on what should I consider and what step should I take. If there is any good documentation available online also can provide me the link.

Appreciate any response

Re: Newby need help configuring Windows 2003 Storage server with Redhat Enterprise

There are multiple issues to address. .and without more indepth information as to exactly what you're trying to acheive (although I have an inkling) it's hard to say.

1) Redundancy and failover of the 2950s.
    Firstly, you need to have some sort of clustering software installed, and a heartbeat connection of some sort. You would probably addres the server via the cluster address rather than an individual address. The two servers maintain a constant heart beat, and if one goes down, the other knows it needs to take up the slack. this has nothing to do with the 2003 Storage Server however. (At least, not at this point i wouldn't think)

2) data on the poweredge AND the NAS.
    Interesting concept. You would need to setup the NAS server, create file shares and whatever else, and make them available to the redhat servers, then map those shares.
    Withi nthe redhat servers, you would then setup a copy job of some sort, to maintain regular, persistant copies of the data to keep it up to date. Something similar to robocopy, but exactly which tool you would use, I'm not sure.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Newby need help configuring Windows 2003 Storage server with Redhat Enterprise

hi tehcamel thanks for the feedback!

if anybody know what is the tool that i can use and if there is any documentations about i appreciate any help

Comment

i'm sure there;s plenty of documentation on how to do it.

i'd start researching phrases like "redhat high availability" and "redhat cluster" and "redhat active/passive" or "redhat active/active' and things like that.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thank you again tehcamel

what about the NAS, im not sure what should i look for

Comment

a tool called rsync should be abl to keep files in sync between two separate devices.
            this is not necessraily the best way to do it however.

you may choose instead to simply have the data from the nas mounted on the redhat servers.

Comment

Working...
            X