Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with sysprep.inf

hello,
    I need to delete an existing partition and create a new with different size by using sysprep.inf (for WDS).
    I found the synatax for unattended.txt but there is no such a section in sysprep.inf

Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: need help with sysprep.inf

SYSPREP is on the MS CD. you have to copied and put it in the root of your C$. If you go to sysprep your machine is better to pic the best machine in prod and INSTALL ALL APPLICATION then run sysprep. After you r finish, just use gost or Acronis to make your Image.

Comment

losiabaar, did you read the original post? The question relates to WDS, not to any third party imaging software and to sysprep.inf, not sysprep.exe.

sysprep.inf is not used in WDS, instead there are 2 XML files used for unattended installs. One file is linked to the WDS server and contains general settings that will apply to all images, the second contains image specific info including things like partition sizes. You'll probably want to download the WAIK from microsoft.com/downloads as it's the easiest way to author the files, and there are other useful things for injecting drivers into images etc.

I found this blog by Agusto Alvarez extremely helpful in learning about WDS. It's in three parts and part 3 contains full steps on authoring unattended installation files.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hello,
        thank you very much for the tip.
        I successfully deployed WDS and read couple of blogs.
        Even in MS Step by Step WDS they breafly mentionning sysprep before capturing image to WDS. No WAIK.
        Let me exlore this.

Thanks again.
        Michael.
        "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

I had the same issue Michael, that's why I went looking for more info and found the blog I linked to.

You can write the XML files in a text editor but I found it easier using the WAIK. Lots of good info in the blog.

Edit: Sample files at this link.
          Last edited by cruachan; 3rd June 2009, 14:20. Reason: Added link
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I found examples of unattend.xml and sysprep for server here:
            http://robwhitehouse.com/windows/win...ment-services/

1. Downloaded AIK but still don't see an option for entering a partition size after format.
            Is AIK will provide this option in GUI?

Also, I found an issue with Regional Settings. I am in Quebec Canada.
            I need to use French Canada for all entries.
            When used Setup Manager in Sysprep and set all to French Canada it added French France and Multilingual French Canada keyboard. So I have to change
            default manually. A bit messy.

2. May be you know where I can find the link to all regioanal settings codes.

3. Do you connect and use WDS server on working subnet? Or you created isolated LAN with AD?
            How many images you install at the same time?

Thx.
            Michael.

Comment

solved #2.

need to know #1 and #2

thx.

Comment

1. It's in the link you posted under the CreatePartitions switch. More info at technet.

2. I put language code in as en-UK, but I think the old style Hex values that applied to code pages work as well which would make French Canada 0c0c according to this site. I would guess the text code to be fr-CA, the technet link above lists which field this setting must be added to.

3. It's installed on the live network normally, but you could if you wanted create a dedicated domain. WDS must be a member of a domain and have access to DHCP, that's it's only prereqs. With a WDS server connected to a gigabit switch I imaged 6 machines in 30 minutes all running at the same time. Haven't gone higher than that as I've never needed to. That was cutom images with Office and about 8 or so other apps added to a fully patched Vista build, I haven't had a need to use XP thus far.
                Last edited by cruachan; 3rd June 2009, 23:28.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I tested the xml and sysprep (from the link I found) and used your link to Technet for finding more script options. Now I know that xml solution is native for Vista. But in my env. no way for Vista. We downgrade new machines to XP
                  (tons of old apps)

1. So for applying partition size I will use:

<CreatePartitions>
                  <CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
                  <Order>1</Order>
                  <Type>Primary</Type>
                  <Extend>true</Extend>

But Size should be: <Size> 50000 <Size> I guess, after <Order> Yes?

Extend false
                  Order = 1
                  Size = 20000
                  (Note: This example creates a 20 GB partition.)
                  Type = Primary

3. I worked on Altiris Deployments Solutions for HP Thin boxes.
                  And after proposed WDS.
                  Testing phase running well.
                  I will have 30 boxes next week. And in couple of month up to 400.

Tell me your thought.
                  I believe that if I will connect a Gb switch to AD Lan port and will place WDS and destination machines to this switch, an image traffic should not go out of the switch and will not affect in any way the network.
                  Sure, best thing will be real life test. I will try 2, 4, 6 boxes in time.
                  If it will perform well I can try more.
                  MS best practices mentrion about 60 boxes in hour in ideal situation (powerfull server with Raid etc)

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.
                  Michael.

Comment

The link I posted to sample files in post #5 has an example of the size switch in the file WDSClientUnattend.xml. As far as I am aware the options in the XML files should be equally valid for XP and Vista, as to use Native Mode WDS (as opposed to legacy mode) XP images need to be converted to WIM format. I have no practical experience of this though, as I said I've only done a Vista deployment and used it with Windows 7 RC at home.

The only network traffic from the machines you are imaging to the rest of the network will be DHCP traffic during the PXE boot phase, so it's pretty negligible. The server I used for WDS was a Dell Poweredge (T104 I think?) with a pretty basic spec and a little Netgear gigabit switch to hook everything up.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hello,

I don't have any problem with deploying XP using xml and sysprep.ini taken from the blog that I found. There were laconic steps.

Your answers were very helpful. I found detailed info that helped me to adjust my deployment.
                      I will do couple of more test before first 30 machines will come in (by next week).
                      It will be fun for technicians to deploy 400 boxes that will come later.

I appreciate your help.

Thx.
                      Michael.

Comment

The steps were pithy and terse?

Comment

No worries, glad I could help.
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Mr. joeqwerty,
                            I had to check your "pithy and terse" to my "laconic" in my Russian-English dictionary. Was very intriguing...

Sorry, if you find my English funny.
                            This is the life of an imigrant.
                            Now I speak 4 languages...
                            So my brain does a quick reference to mother toungue.

)))

Comment

4 languages! Well done. That's three more than me.

P.S. Wasn't making fun, just razzing you a bit (as evidenced by my emoticon).

Comment

Working...
                              X