Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Failure: Stop Error

Hi,

I have a Windows 2003 Server SP2, that is intermittantly rebooting. When it comes back up, I get a 'System Failure: Stop error' message and I have attached a screen shot of the message.

I have 'googled' and 'binged' the error, but I can only find references to
    0x0000007e and 0xc0000005, but these seem to not be relevant to my install. The rest of the 0x events show up no results.

Any thoughts ??

Regards
    Attached Files

Re: System Failure: Stop Error

Hi,

You can configure the actions that Windows takes when a system error (also referred to as a bug check, system crash, fatal system error, or stop error) occurs. You can configure the following actions:
    • Write an event to the System log.
    • Alert administrators (if you have set up administrative alerts).
    • Put system memory in a file that advanced users can use for debugging.
    • Automatically restart the computer
    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307973

Maybe configure the the action windows takes to Write an event to the system log instead.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I have turned off the 'Automatically Restart' option, but it is already set to write an error to the event log. When I check the Event Log, there is no precursor error to the reboot anyway, just the acknowledgment of the System Failure: Stop Error after the reboot occurs.

Comment

What kind of server do you have? HP, Dell,...etc. You may want to look at the Management Software which came with the server package. It could be detecting something (an issue) windows is not. In this case ASR (in the BIOS) maybe rebooting your server. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html
          The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.
          ensure all your drivers are up to date - the latest HP firmware and psp packages, or the equivalent dell or ibm stuff.
          identify when the issue first occured, and what may have changed around then. (new software ?)
          run a thorough anti-malware check/
          run intensive memory diagnostics
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What does the event logs say??

You should find something in there that will tell you what the error message is.

Is the system set to dump to a file?? Check that.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              What does the event logs say??

You should find something in there that will tell you what the error message is.

Is the system set to dump to a file?? Check that.
              to have your dump file work properly, you need to ensure you have a page file on the system partition, otherwise dumping doesnt work..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, but I think I have resolved the problem.

Managed to debug the mini dump file and this pointed me to a failing .sys file left behind from a software install.

Uninstalled the redundant application, the .sys file disappered and so far - no reboots !!

Comment

glad you got it worked out, thanks for letting us know you found a solution

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    to have your dump file work properly, you need to ensure you have a page file on the system partition, otherwise dumping doesnt work..
                    Which is why i always leave a 16MB pagefile on the system drive.

Comment

Originally posted by John Farthing View Post
                      Hi,

Thanks for the replies, but I think I have resolved the problem.

Managed to debug the mini dump file and this pointed me to a failing .sys file left behind from a software install.

Uninstalled the redundant application, the .sys file disappered and so far - no reboots !!
                      Excellent.

Thanks for posting back with your results. It helps others in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        Which is why i always leave a 16MB pagefile on the system drive.
                        ohh.. nice idea.. it doesn't have to be equal to the amount of real system memory ?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                          ohh.. nice idea.. it doesn't have to be equal to the amount of real system memory ?
                          Only if you want a full memory dump
                          But I thought Server didn't let you have less than 16Mb on the system partition?
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

tehcamel,

Nope. You only need the full mem size if as Tom says you need the full dump file. Me personally i've found all i've ever needed from the mini dumps.

Ossian,

I think if you enter a value the minimun it must be is 16MB (in Server 2003 it is.). Its been a while since i've needed to do it so i could be wrong. You know how you do things that often you forget the screens.

I do remember setting it to 2MB in Server 2000 though.

Comment

Working...
                            X