Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate subnet for Windows servers

Greetings to all,

I wanted to get some suggestions on the best method to enable DNS on a separate subnet between 6 Microsoft servers. This is primarily a Novell network which is using a very outdate third party DNS service provider.

I want to setup DNS on the Windows servers to provide replication just between the server, without interferring with the Novell network at large.

Thanks in advance for you help and assistance...
    Regards,
    Randerso

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." W. B. Yeats

Re: Separate subnet for Windows servers

Are these networks having a seperate domain name or are they equal ?

bio..

Comment

Re: Separate subnet for Windows servers

After looking at the servers in more detail, I found each has an unused gig ethernet port. Installed DNS and configured for manual operation, only propagating to windows domain controllers. Configured forward lookup zone to see only the windows domain controllers within the group of windows servers, under properties gave the name server the IP address of the secondary gig port I wanted it to use. TCP/IP properties I listed the servers DNS IP as the primary and the next name server as secondary DNS authority.

So far so good...I have been able to run a script that shows the USN number incrementing as it should. I have further testing to validate that this configuration will help with replication going forward as the third party DNS service we currently use is not helping with the Windows side of the domain. The primary Novell side of the network appears to be as rock solid as ever.

Any suggestions.....
      Regards,
      Randerso

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." W. B. Yeats

Comment

Working...
      X