No External DNS Configured

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No External DNS Configured

Our network consists of 10 WinXP Po machines connected to a Win2K3 DC/DNS server. However, internet access is a bit slow. I think all traffic is routed through the DC/DNS server.

1. How can I confirm if Internet access is routed through this server?
    2. If #1 is true, do you think this the reason for slow Internet access?
    3. If #1 is true, is there a way to bypass this so all traffic goes to some other external DNS server?
    4. Must we manually input our internal DNS address in the TCP/IP settings of each adapter on each computer? Is there a way for each device to manually sense these addresses?
    5. Unless we manually configure the TCP/IP settings with external DNS servers, somehow we can't hit our own web site hosted by the ISP. However we can hit every other site. Why is this?

Thanks

you should configure the dns in the winxp machine to be the dns of the dc.

active directory relies on dns as the basic service for communication, so the whole resolution pass through dns.
    if you configure the isp dns in the clients there will be a lot of troubles including slow logons and slow access to shares.

so the recommended configuration is to use the internal dns as main and configure it to forward queries to isp dns in case the record does not found in the cache of the dns server.

it also improve the performance of the last mile connection because the client never go outside to resolve names.

ipconfig /all

this command line tool should give you the results of who is your dns server
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

In your last reply, you said "so the recommended configuration is to use the internal dns as main and configure it to forward queries to isp dns in case the record does not found in the cache of the dns server. "

How would I do this? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by leeym
        In your last reply, you said "so the recommended configuration is to use the internal dns as main and configure it to forward queries to isp dns in case the record does not found in the cache of the dns server. "

How would I do this? Thanks
        You have on your dns settings ZONE - (go to properties zone:

- Forwards TAB - where you will set the dns of your isp
        - On the dhcp or in case o static ip set your dns server as primary dns and secondary dns your isp or let this field blank because your internal dns will forward the dns request if name resolution will not sucess on the internal dns.
        MCSE w2k
        MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Where is the "forwards" tab in DNS? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by leeym
            Where is the "forwards" tab in DNS? Thanks
            See this:

http://www.petri.com/configure_dns_forwarding.htm

You will be fine. Thanks to Petri
            MCSE w2k